xxv

3rd pov

"this weed is broken," y/n said dejectedly, twisting the blunt in his hand. severus sat across from him on the bed, staring at all of the posters plastered onto the wall.

"i would have never guessed you were a stoner metalhead," severus said. y/n giggled at the comment and took a hit from the joint, even though it probably wouldn't do anything.

"i had appearances to keep up at hogwarts. my parents may have been frustrated by my antics, but at least nobody thought of me as the emo druggie," y/n said. "they never knew about the weed, though."

"it was barely hidden in your closet, how did they not find it?" severus asked, leaning forward a bit.

"i hid it poorly because i wanted them to find it. unfortunately, they were never home and when they were, they respected my boundaries. i contemplated just putting a blunt under their pillow," y/n confessed, looking down at his hands. "i thought that— i thought that if they saw i was doing drugs, and i was listening to heavy music, and destroying myself... they'd worry for my wellbeing and actually pay attention to me. none of it worked, though."

severus sighed at the information. "is that why you acted up so much? you wanted your parents' attention?"

"yeah," y/n said, snubbing out the blunt on the corner of his dresser, where other burn marks made themselves apparent. "i never did anything other than weed, though. it's really not all that harmful, but my parents would've lost their shit."

a heavy knock came from the front door and y/n sprang up.

"were you expecting company?" severus asked. y/n rolled off the bed as he shook his head no, silently summoning his wand to his hand. he effortlessly ran down the stairs, not thinking about how it might aggravate his hip.

he held his wand behind his back as he undid the lock of his front door. the first thing he saw was bright white hair and a wand in his face. instinctively, y/n wielded his own wand defensively, but froze when his brain finally caught up with what he was seeing.

"dante!" y/n said, throwing his wand down and yanking the man into the house. he wrapped his arms around dante, smiling into his shoulder. "what are you doing here?"

"the wards i set went off, i thought someone broke in," dante said, pulling out of the hug. "didn't think i'd find you here."

"i'm here for memory's sake. i'm off for the summer, so i'm vacationing," y/n explained, taking a more casual stance, relaxing in the presence of his best friend. "you put wards on my house?"

"of course i did, mate, you were right cross with the death eaters, i thought it was only a matter of time before they came here," dante explained, walking  further into the house and flopping down on the couch.

"and if the death eaters had broken in, you'd have just shown up here alone to fend them off?" y/n asked, folding his arms and looking down at dante.

"well..." dante trailed off, scratching the back of his head awkwardly. his eyes saw past y/n and he flinched back, a quiet curse passing his lips. y/n turned around and saw severus looming by the stairs, look particularly dark and evil. y/n's lips flattened into a line.

"is that severus snape? in your house? standing by your stairs?" dante inhaled through his nose deeply, his brows furrowing impossibly more. "have you been smoking weed?"

"yes," y/n answered simply, folding his arms across his chest.

"yes to donnie darko over there or yes to the weed?" dante asked, becoming even more stressed.

y/n snorts and shakes his head. "just because donnie darko has the word dark in it, does not mean that you used that reference correctly. severus is far from a schizophrenic counting down the days to the end of the world."

"that's what you think," severus said, making his way down the rest of the stairs.

dante stares at y/n blankly, then squints at him suspiciously. "you're on a first name basis with him? when the hell did that happen?"

y/n's cheeks begin to burn. "it— well, we're colleagues now, what's wrong with... being familiar with each other?"

"oh my god! you two are fucking!" dante shouts, bringing his hands to his head as if he'd just been told jesus has returned and the rapture was nigh. "that's it. this is the end. the world's going to implode."

"what are you on about, you fucking git?" y/n asked, getting frustrated with dante.

"do you not remember? winter holidays, 6th year. you told me that the world would collapse before you and snape—"

"fucking merlyn, shut up! holy shit, dante," y/n shouts, eyes bouncing between severus and his best friend, so stressed he's positive his hair is greying at rapid speed. "please, for once in life, don't speak every thought in your brain."

severus blinks blankly. y/n wants to die. dante just stands there, eyes blank as he processes everything. then a wry smile falls across his face and he punches y/n in the arm.

"so, you and the emo, huh?"

y/n closes his eyes, fist clenching as he heavily contemplates punching dante in the jaw. instead, he flicks his wand wordlessly and dante's eyes roll into the back of his head and he passes out. y/n makes no move to catch him as he falls to the ground, and his body makes a satisfying thump as it lands.

y/n slowly drags his eyes back towards severus, who's eyebrows are now just barely raised in amusement.

"winter holidays. the world collapses before you and i... what?" severus asks, the corner if his mouth quirking up.

"i'll knock you out, too, severus. i don't want to hear it," y/n warns as he pockets his wand. "god i wish i had a fresh blunt."

this chapter was a whole lot of fucking nothing

hope y'all enjoy