The bartender smiles. "Good evening. What can I get for you?"

"I'll have a glass of champagne." I say.

"Get her a whiskey. Make it a double."

The familiar rasp gives me chills and warms my soul all at once. I turn slowly and, behind me, Jax sits at a patio table, cigar in hand and a sweating half-glass of whiskey in front of him. The dark suit he's got on stretches across his bulging muscles, collared shirt unbuttoned just enough to show the edges of his chest tattoos. His eyes are set on me, and it's all I can take not to slap that smug grin right off his face. What the hell is he doing here?

The bartender raises his eyebrows at me as I turn my back to Jax.

"Champagne." I repeat.

Jax chuckles and I hear his chair slide across the cement. "Come on, Lizzie. We both know champagne isn't going to help those nerves you're trying to squash."

He sets his hand on mine, calming my shaking fingers.

I yank my hand away, angry that I have to deal with this tonight. Angry that Jax picked up on my nerves within seconds of being near me when Mike didn't notice on the whole car ride over. Angry that that one tiny touch put me at ease.

I grab the glass from the bartender and take a big gulp. The worst part is that Jax is right. Champagne isn't going to touch the anxiety I'm feeling right now. I slide the bartender some cash.

"You'd think a guy with as much money as Mac Bronson could spring for an open bar if he insists on throwing these flashy shit shows." Jax slides the cash back to me. "Put her on my tab."

The bartender nods anxiously and turns. God, the poor guy.

"What are you even doing here, Jax? This is a closed party." I roll my eyes. "For Mac's donors. How did you even get in?"

"What can I say? The guy makes a lot of big promises. Made a believer out of me." Jax shrugs, slugging back the rest of his whiskey.

My chest tightens. "Please don't tell me that you donated to Mac's campaign to mess with me."

Jax rubs his chin with a smirk, leaning so close to me that his breath is hot against my ear. "You know, contrary to what you might think, sweet girl, my life doesn't revolve around you anymore. It did once... but not anymore. Believe it or not, I'm here because I've been a donor for years."

"Years? Come on, Jax." I bite my lip. "Mac wouldn't..."

"Wouldn't what, Lizzie?" He tilts his head. "Take dirty money? Fraternize with criminals? We both know you're that naïve."

Suddenly, it feels like my two worlds are colliding. "Does Mike know?"

Jax shakes his head. "I didn't even know Mike ran his campaign until today. I usually deal straight with Mac."

This has got to be some sick joke.

"Liz..."

Oh shit.

Mike walks out onto the patio, stiffening when he sees Jax and I standing together.

"Jax." I can't read his tone, but I know it isn't good. As much as he doesn't want this to bother him, it does and the guilt bites at me whether it's warranted or not.

"Mike." Jax reaches out, shaking his hand. "Nice to see you again. You put on a great party."

"Uh, thanks... Am I missing somewhere here?" He turns to me. "Did you invite..."

"Jax!" Mac joins us, already a little tipsy, as he slings his arm over Jax's shoulder. "I see you've met my campaign manager, Mike, and his beautiful wife, Liz."

"We've met before, actually." I cringe, waiting to see what kind of bomb he's about to drop. If Mac knows who Jax is and what he does, and finds out I was married to him... If he finds out who I used to be, it would ruin everything. Not just for me, but for Mike and probably for Mac's entire campaign.

"Really?" Mac presses.

Jax nods. "I happened upon her bakery today. My mother is throwing an impromptu party this weekend, and I heard she makes the best cakes in the entire state."

Mike narrows his eyes on me, our conversation from earlier flashing through his mind.

"She is the very best!" Mac grins. "Hey, will you two excuse us for a minute? I need to introduce Jax to someone."

Without waiting for a response, Mac leads Jax away, and he waves over his shoulder. Mike and I are alone on the patio and my pulse quickens with anticipation.

"One of those last-minute orders, huh?" Mike's voice is flat. Not angry, not accusatory. Just flat.

"I was going to tell you. I just didn't want to ruin anything for you tonight." My eyes fill with tears. I can feel my tightly wound web starting to slowly unravel, and it's paralyzing. Jax has been back in my life for a week and he's already wreaking absolute havoc.

"And why would finding out that you saw your ex husband again ruin anything for me?" Mike scoffs.

"I don't know. I'm sorry, I should have said something, but it's really nothing, Mike. I promise. I can explain."

Mike paces, raking his hand through his hair. "I can't talk about this right now. I have donors in there who need my attention. I'll come find you in a bit."

When he storms off, I want to follow him. I want to chase after him and make him understand that I'm just doing this to help Emily, and it has nothing to do with Jax himself.

Instead, I stand out there in the cool, crisp air, trying to convince myself of that very same thing.