Part 1

Runeko knew that in order to validate the claims made by the two strangers, they needed the truth serum. The Chief had agreed with Runeko and let him run point on the interrogations. The strangers were instructed to drink the funny looking beverage and speak their real and unfiltered truth. Runeko suggested that they be interrogated in two different rooms and at the same time. That way he can be sure that the answers aren't fabricated in any way. He would question Fawn-Elise and the head guard was to question the boy, Torrick. Needless to say, Torrick and Fawn were anxious and scared. They were in a strange land, they didn't know anyone, they had no friends and they were about to partake in what was to be the scariest test of their careers. Runeko entered Fawn’s holding cell he looked around to make sure that there were no listening devices for anyone other than the Chief. He proceeded speak to Fawn in the kindest voice Fawn had ever heard. He enquired about her travels, her family, he even asked her what her favourite foods, desserts and movies were. Runeko’s inquisition made Fawn feel very comfortable and her body relaxed itself. She answered all the questions in detail. By the time the truth serum was to be administered she was completely ready. Runeko then helped her with the serum and began asking her where she was from. He asked her about her queen, her friend Torrick, if she had any other friends and how their central island jewel was stolen to begin with. When she answered, her responses were sincere, raw, but somewhat guarded. It was as though she was afraid of something or someone, it came across almost as though she thought someone was watching her. She was not outwardly lying, but she wasn’t completely forthcoming either. Runeko could see clear as day that she loved her home and she loved Torrick the same way that he loved Gemeni. He felt that he could relate to this strange girl sitting across from him. He didn’t press on why she seemed to close off when certain questions arose. She was honest enough not to raise any red flags and so he didn't see how prying any further would help. He believed her and he vowed in his heart to help them in any way that he can.

In the next room over, Torrick was answering questions of his own. He too was real and honest. Something told the king that these kids were honest regardless of the serum they just took. Even though he thought Torrick was too smart for his own good. He noticed how Torrick was able to duck and dive to avoid completely answering a question. Not as Fawn had done, he seemed to be a little bit more... experienced. He made subtle movements to relieve the pressure of the serum as though he was trained on how to do it. It seemed as though he had something to hide. Not as Fawn had, he seemed dangerous somehow. However the Chief just dismissed it as one of the problems about teenagers; always wanting to show off and make like they know everything. The Chief let the matter go and didn’t pursue it any further. He took to the podium and beckoned all of his soldiers to make an announcement.

The next morning, after the king had made the declaration that the  island was to work with the people of Huntingham and that all of their resources were to be at their disposal. He instructed Runeko to begin training with them at once. Runeko had no objections, he just suggested that the king tell Gemeni what her role was in the battle because she was no ordinary warrior. He voiced that Gemeni seemed to be struggling with her training now that she has bits and pieces of what was expected from her. He expressed to the king that he is concerned for her mental state and, Gemeni seemed to be overwhelmed. The king agreed but asked that Runeko give him time to prepare the proper setting. In reality, the Chief was just stalling for time. No father wants to tell their daughter that their destiny is death and destruction. The Chief wished at that moment that he hadn't agreed to the making of the Gauntlet. Even though he didn't say all this, Runeko sensed it and bid the Chief goodbye.

Runeko then went on to the training grounds to find his friend. He was surprised to find her just sitting there…she looked deep in thought and he immediately knew what she was what troubling her. He did not want to overstep and so he just went to sit with her. He began reassuring her, making sure that she isn’t doubting herself or having second thoughts about helping out when the time came. Although Runeko would not blame Gemeni if she decided to pull out of the mission. Gemeni just sat staring into the nothingness, quiet as a mouse. This concerned Runeko and he didn’t know what to do so he just sat in silence next to her. Little did he know, Gemeni needed exactly that in that moment.