Chapter 1: The Entrance Exams

Moira's POV

My morning starts just as it always does - waking up screaming from a nightmare or a memory or a combination of the two; my own claws dig in to either my legs or arms in an attempt to shock myself back to reality. Thank god my house is soundproof, because my feathery neighbors would despise me otherwise. Holding my migraine-riddled head and ignoring the blood now on my forehead, I kick off my covers and begin the day.

Firstly, I take a shower to get the blood and sweat off my body. I have to look presentable today - I need to get into this school. I let the water make the disgusting feeling and the nightmare disappear.

Once I finish in the shower, I put on a tan button up and a nice pair of brown pants. At least for the written portion of the exam, I need to look nice, but I do not want to seem like the odd one out either. Most students are going to be wearing their middle school uniforms. Since I had been homeschooled my entire life - our pack never stayed in one place for too long due to the constant issue of hunters, I had no uniform to speak of. My outfit is definitely helping me from sticking out like a sore thumb and looks close to a school uniform to please the glancing eye. In a separate bag, I pack away a stretchy pair of shorts and an athletic tank for the practical part of the exam before walking down the stairs to my kitchen.

As if by instinct, I run over to the fridge. I grab some leftover steak from the previous night and begin heating it up in the microwave. Normally, with the test ahead, kids would not want to eat a whole meal to save their stomach. However, my gene prevents me from getting sick from anything except wolfsbane, and I have the hunger of a... well, wolf. The microwave sings to tell me my food is ready, and I scarf it down with some water.

As soon as I finish, I put the dishes in the sink for later. I walk towards my front door, stopping when I spot my calendar. I spot the familiar grey and black circles around two separate days in the month. The black circle is closest, and the grey circle is two rows past that. "3 days," I tell myself while staring at the black orb. My eyes then find the grey one. I say, "And 18 days." I tighten my grip on the strap of my bag. "I'll be fine."

I exit my house and enter the forest. The sound of the woods welcomes me; the breeze also says hello with a kiss. I can faintly hear the sounds of cars in the distance. I live not too far away from Musutafu, Japan. It is secluded enough for me to be away from people while being not too far away from civilization. Not surprisingly, I am more comfortable in the woods. I look up towards a tall hill that overlooks the city. A large building crowns it - UA High. I had not yet gone close enough to see it - only having gone into town for food when I had first arrived a few days ago. Having my eyes on the prize, I state, "I'm going to get into that school."

As I begin my walk to school, I let my senses take over. There is not a human close to me. What is nice about Japan is that there are pretty much no hunters around - I guess the supernatural are a little to nonexistent problem here. That fact is a nice addition to my need to move here. I feel a tug against my heart, thinking of the home and the family I had left behind. I shove it back and ignore it.

I reach the main path, thanking the fact there is no one there to question why a girl just came out of the woods. Staying on the path, I begin walking up to UA. More students join me on the path as I get closer. Soon, I spot the blue and yellow gates along the outside of the school. I smile as my heart begins skipping with every step closer to the school.

Once the whole building is in view, I stop and stare. UA is a lot bigger than I had been expecting. I guess I had been expecting a small high school like in America - where you could maybe get a second building if your community was big enough or had enough money, not a college campus sized complex. It towers over me and the other students walking up to the campus. I close my mouth after taking in the sight. I look past the entrance gate to the entrance of the school. There are three gates, each with a number outside on the glass. Nerves begin climbing up and down my body. "I'm going to be fine," I whisper.