chapter 22 • me and alex are more than just friends. put that down

Start from the beginning

"a guy wanting a list of latinos in my house? no thanks." penelope said.

"the census is important for communities of color. we have to participate! it determines congressional seats, and federal funding, and latinos are always-"

"at this point, i'd rather be murdered! open the door."

elena pulled the door open. "hi! sorry about the whole door in your face thing."

"it's okay, i've had worse." the man reassured. "i've been bit by a toddler, tased by a grandma. 2010, i was insulted by a racist parrot. anyway, uh, my names brian and this is only gonna take a few minutes. so you're penelope alvarez?"

"yes i am, i am the mother of elena and alex." penelope motioned to her kids.

"okay, that's good, and this is your husband?" brian pointed at leslie.

penelope laughed.

"alex is my husband." cherry mumbled.

"so, you're single. no husbands, no same-sex partner, no unmarried partner, no same-sex unmarried partner.." brian listed.

"and now know all the different ways i'm single. thank you. i'm very happy, check that off." penelope listed out interesting details from her life

"alrighty, and you're the head of the household?" brian questioned.

"no!" lydia shoved her curtains open dramatically. "i am."

"no, i am." penelope explained. "this is my mother lydia, she lives here too."

"hello." lydia placed a hand on the man's arm.

"lydia, yes. what is your age?" brian questioned.

"i am ageless." lydia said. "i was born in cuba."

"i need to know if you're of hispanic, latino, or spanish origin."

"i'm all 3. do i win something?"

"no you don't. uh, so then, this must be your husband?"

lydia laughed, glancing at leslie.

"berto is my husband." lydia smiled.

"okay, and where is he?" brian questioned.

"he passed away ten years ago." penelope informed.

"and he is here! he is in here, in here, and-" lydia motioned to her body.

cherry closed her eyes.

"let me just clear up some things. i am dr. leslie berkowitz, penelope's boss. and also, i'm lydia's exclusive non-sexual platonic companion." leslie stood up.

cherry glanced over at alex.

"alex, will you be my exclusive non-sexual platonic companion?" cherry grinned.

"nonsexual?" alex questioned, jokingly.

cherry wasn't being awkward.

so, alex chose not too, either.

they'd brush right past the mistaken i love you and continue on with their lives.

"hi, i'm gay!" elena introduced

"oh, me too!" cherry grinned.

"but.. you've been flirting with this boy?" brian glanced at alex.

"duh? he's my lover?" cherry joked.

"look, i just really need to know the relationships within the household. you and him are dating?" brian looked between cherry and alex.