VII

JAMES FOUND STEVIE quickly the next morning, stealing her from Otto and Sunny at breakfast under the pretense of finishing their Muggle Studies project yet again. He threw her a thick winter jacket and told her to follow him quickly.

"What's going on," Stevie asked, quickly shrugging on the jacket that was a couple sizes too small and smelt absolutely heavenly.

"Emergency meeting," said James, "I've gathered reinforcements."

Stevie was about to ask exactly what James meant, but he turned around quickly and made a sharp turn to come face to face with a blank wall. Within a few moments, a large, wooden door appeared, opened by none other than Fred Weasley aka the "reinforcements."

"I've been waiting for hours," said Fred, folding up a large piece of parchment and putting it in his pocket.

"I've been gone ten minutes, Freddie," said James, rolling his eyes. "Stevie, this is Fred. Fred, Stevie."

"You're Otto's friend, aren't you," said Fred, bending down slightly to shake her hand.

"Yes," said Stevie, smiling. She made a note to herself to tell Otto he'd said so. "I'm also blackmailing your cousin, but I'm sure you knew that already."

"Yes," Fred replied. "You're my hero."

"I don't like how well you two are getting along," said James before pushing Stevie the door and shutting it.

"Bloody hell, it's freezing in here," said Stevie, wrapping James' jacket around her tighter.

"Apparently Freddie didn't think we'd need a fireplace for this," said James, glaring at his cousin. "But now is not the time for blaming each other."

"And what exactly is it time for," asked Stevie, watching her visible breath with wonder.

"As you may know, there's the first Hogsmeade visit of the year next weekend," James said, beginning to pace across the room. "And I believe this to be a good time to make a move with Sunny."

"Brilliant idea," said Stevie, sitting down on one of the many blue, plush chairs in the room. "And you need me here because?"

"I think James here needs an idea on how exactly to ask Sunny out," said Fred, smirking.

"I'd be careful making fun of me when you haven't even had a full conversation with the person you like," said James, cocking an eyebrow. Fred flushed.

"Anyway," said Stevie, looking between the two cousins awkwardly. "Don't you think this is a little too fast, James? Have you actually had a conversation with Sunny that didn't relate to Quidditch in any way?"

"Yes," said James, leaning against one of the chairs, arms crossed. "She asked me about the Potions test on Friday!"

"That doesn't count!"

"Whatever," said James, rolling his eyes. "How am I ever going to get out of the friend zone if I don't shoot my shot?"

"Please never say 'shoot my shot' ever again," said Stevie, grimacing.

"Name one good reason I shouldn't ask Sunny out right now," James demanded, his eyes focusing on Stevie. She shifted.

"I–uh," Stevie struggled, a flush creeping up her neck. She looked over at Fred for help, but to no avail. She kept her eyes off James', thinking hard.

"You don't have one, do you," said James, lowering his head down to hers, forcing her to look into his eyes.

"Do whatever you want, James," said Fred, pulling James up. "You're the one who's going to get rejected, not us."

"Debatable," said James, standing up off the chair.

Stevie stayed still as stone, her gaze still focused away from James. "I've got to go," she said, getting up abruptly. "Homework."

_______

WHEN NINE-YEAR-OLD Stevie punched James, she hadn't done so for no reason. See, James had taken to following Stevie around, which she'd found rather annoying. Harry would always say that James took after his grandfather, chasing after those who didn't want him, but James was not to be stopped.

That was until Stevie had had just about enough of his antics and punched him square in the face, eliciting a sickening crack. Stevie instantly pulled her hand back, shaking the pain away as James doubled over, his eyes filled with tears.

Stevie had never seen the teacher move as fast as she had done that day, picking up James easily with her strong arms and bringing him to the nurse. Of course, Harry fixed his son's nose with a simple spell, but the incident was not forgiven as easily.

James thought a lot about that day, especially on the day that Stevie asked him to coach her. His mind never went so fast as when he was in that closet with Stevie—he'd never have imagined he would be in the same room as the girl he fancied in year three ever again, no matter if they went to the same school. But as he and Stevie spent more and more time with each other, he was never so happy to have reconnected with someone in his life.

Of course, this was because Stevie was helping him get with Sunny, right?

_______

"THAT'S CHECKMATE," SAID Otto, smiling radiantly. Stevie huffed loudly once again, this was the fifth time he'd beaten her in just one hour. She'd had half the mind to flip the board over after Otto's second win, but one of the Pawns seemed to read her mind and gave her the death stare.

"Whatever," said Stevie, arms crossed. She kicked her feet up onto the table, the bottoms of her black converse pushing the board a bit. The pieces squeaked. "I have to tell you something," she said suddenly, eyes on Otto.

The boy sat up, his eyebrows raised. "Do go on."

"James' gonna asked Sunny out to Hogsmeade this weekend," Stevie said, her voice hushed.

"Fascinating," said Otto, his chin in his hands.

"Oh, shut up," Stevie said, leaning back into the plush, yellow chair. "I tried to talk him out of it, but he wouldn't listen."

"Why'd you try to talk him out of it?"

"Because it's a ridiculous idea," said Stevie as if it was obvious. "They've barely talked!"

"I'm guessing that's what they'll do on their date," said Otto, smiling.

"How do you know she'll say yes," asked Stevie, quirking an eyebrow.

"Because she already did," said Otto, "lots of people are talking about it. James asked her at dinner. Where were you?"

"Oh," said Stevie, her eyes falling to her feet resting on the table. "I had...homework to do."

"Right," said Otto, eyebrows furrowed. He got up suddenly. "Well, I guess it's just us this weekend."

"No invitation from Freddie," asked Stevie teasingly. "I could help you—talk you up to him."

"Slow down Ms. Match-Maker," said Otto, pushing her feet off the table. "Not everyone needs your help."

"Oh, but they do," said Stevie. "What would all of you do without me?"

_______

NOTE.

it's back