Black & White Part 1 Chapter 5 - The Boy With All The Time in The World

Start from the beginning

"Colton, aren't you a little young to join the traveller's guild?"

Colton shakes her head, adjusting her hair. "I shall think nothing of it. My age is of no concern; on the contrary, it allows me to have even more time to research into the possibility of people and Pokemon."

"Oh, I see."

"I know it may come as a surprise, considering your region still sees Pokemon as something to fear. However, I disagree! It's only together that we and Pokemon live side by side."

I shake my head, arms crossed, and smirk. "Not at all; I may be one of the only people in this village who understands. My Pokemon and I are family; we battle together, eat together, and get through the hard times together."

Colton's eyes lit up when she heard this, and she clapped. "Wonderful, truly wonderful. Then I suppose you wouldn't mind helping me with some research. In fact, your Liligant will do just fine."

Colton put her bag down, scavenging through it, taking out crude bottles with faded labels. Liligant wasn't looking too thrilled to be bartered into a science experiment. "And, like, what are we researching?"

"I have been looking into bringing out the full potential in Pokemon. Ways to make them stronger: I am, of course, talking about individual values and Effort Values. IV and EVs for short." She raves on, making me stare at her blankly. "You could have the exact same two Pokemon, both with the same nature. One could be faster; the other could have more defence. Why is this? Well, it's simple: their IV and EVs are different. And I believe with these I could improve them."

"I have no idea what you're talking about..."

Colton jumped out of her bag, holding two bottles, both labelled Protein. "Your Liligant is a physical striker, yes? Giving her these will not only boost her attack but very well might also boost your bond together!"

"Drinking some strange medicine makes Liligant stronger? I don't know... How much are they?"

"Hark! You need not worry about such minor details, for we are scientists diving into the unknown of truth and ideals. We are to pave the future for science! About 9800."

"I am not spending that."

Colton looks concerned, sighing. "What I desire is to bring out the entirety of Pokémon's potential very well. I shall part ways with the first for free. Consider it a gift for our upcoming partnership."

Feeling like I had no choice, I took the Protein. The moment our hands collided, that same electrical spark came out. My heart skipped a beat as Colton retracted, dropping the gift. She blinked several times, dazed. "That was Astral energy... How do you?"

"Wait, you know about this!? How, tell me!"

Adjusting her goggles, Colton began inspecting me curiously. "There's more to than meets the eye, my assistant. Your reaction is interesting. Allow me to observe it up close!"

Walking all around, Colton nodded to herself, humming, " I see. I see. I see. I see. I see... I have no idea what I'm seeing."

"Listen, you said this was Astral energy, right? What is that?"

"Oh, right, of course. I have only known of its possibility for other researchers. But we believe this same energy infests all Pokemon who have dabbled in time travel. That includes your very own region's Dialga."

"Wait, why am I bleeding this stuff, then? Could it be related to the time machine?"

"You aren't secretly a Pokemon, are you? No, how foolish of me to believe that. I shall leave it there."