Sword and Shield Arc Chapter 10 - Behind the Curtain

Start from the beginning

Standing at the heart of the storm next to Goodra, I looked to her Zorua on my shoulder. "We'll back you up. We can't let these Mamoswine through the cavern!"

Goodra roared, charging a flash cannon and breaking through two hostiles. I was swept away in shock as Zorua jumped down. "What do you think, girl? They say dragon types are the most challenging to raise; when has that stopped us?"

Zorua, getting to where I was going, looked to Goodra, barking in agreement. Feeling more determined than ever, I pointed forward. "Then we can't lose; we never lose! Mimi quickly fires a Shadow Ball; we must split up the horde!"

Zorua jumped high in the air, flipping forward and sending a stray Shadow Ball into the horde of Mamoswine. It didn't directly hit any of them, but it was enough to separate them, and a handful focused on us as they began to charge.

Taking the hint, I gripped my bag as Zorua jumped on my head, and we began running. The first Mamoswine charged directly at us, missing just barely crashing into the icy mountain. Stumbling forward, I rolled ahead, dodging another one. I reached into my bag and took out a Sticky Glob, chucking it at the third Mamoswine, stunning it. It gave us the perfect chance to strike as Zorua dived to the floor, sending off another Shadow Ball, knocking back the Mamoswine, and spooking it enough to make it flee.

"Nice work, Mimi! We can do this!"

The first Mamoswine from earlier had pulled itself free from the trap, launching an earthquake at us. As the ground began to shake, I stumbled forward, crashing and crawling along. Zorua kept fighting it as I was about to sprint for safety. That was until I saw a lone Goomy from the pack shivering in fear, caught in the stampede of Mamoswines. "Not good! Hang on, I'm coming!"

Scrambling to my feet, I ran ahead, dodging and weaving through the Mamswine battlefield, a wrong move proving lethal. Now so close I dived forward scooping up the Goomy pinning ourselves to a set of rocks avoiding the barrage. "I got you! I got you!"

Clutching the Goomy tightly, I heard the shaking ground only to see rocks falling on us. Shielding Goomy, I looked away only for a roaring heat to blow over us—a flamethrower.

Looking up, I saw Irida and her Flareon joining the battle. "Don't just stand there, you idiot! Move!"

Not letting this chance slip us by, I rolled forward, running to the main section of the cavern, Goomy in hand as I continued to avoid the mayhem as Goodra and Zorua were struggling to hold them back. "Just a little longer, come on, a little longer!"

Jumping over another earthquake, I fell to my knees, looking back to find Goodra on her last legs and Zorua in the red. Biting my lip, I looked at Goomy with a smile. "Everything is going to be alright; we'll win."

As if my words were a lucky charm, a dozen Pearl Clan members appeared, surrounding the Mamoswines and sending out a handful of Pokemon. It was enough to spook the horde, making them retreat. The fear and exhaustion caught up to me as I fell on my back, panting. "Thank Arceus, that was too close."

"Y/N, you alright!?" Irida shouted, running over.

Still holding Goomy, I looked up, nodding. "Peachy, remind me never to do that again... Go on, little one, go be with your family."

I watched Goomy take off, looking back at me now and then. "I've given the rundown of the situation. The Pearl Clan will escort the Outbreak to the pathway we take in and out. The Survey Corps will take over and get these all home there."

"That's good to hear; they're all going to be alright. I'm glad."

I must have dozed off during the changeover because before I knew it, the cavern was clear, and the mass outbreak dispersed. Rubbing my eyes I turned to Zorua a deflated sigh coming along. "Let's hope we don't have to deal with too many Mass Outbreaks sooner or later... We were so caught up in the moment we forgot to catch a new Team Member."