Chapter 20: Final preparations

Start from the beginning

"Are... Are you serious?"

He nods at your question, looks up and breaths in as he remembers your achivements, pointing up his finger.

"Not only... A chemical expert that also works at your actual school, the Columbia University, as a laboratory technician."

After saying that, he straightens his back, giving you a smug smile while you still look at him incredulous about what you just heard. You? A chemical expert that works as a lab technician in your ACTUAL SCHOOL? As, pratically speaking, a laboratory professor? That would be too good to be true! It could seem stupid but... You always wanted to become a teacher but without loosing touch with the laboratory since you loved to work there. And a lab technician was just that. That would have been a dream! But it was Peter saying that. Your Peter from YOUR future. It was so fulfilling to hear him reveal that and now you feel full of confidence and determination.

"That's why I know you won't mess up."

He stands up and puts a hand on your shoulder, patting it.

"Come on, do what you do best and finish that."

You look at the glassware and then at Peter again. You breath in as you tighten your ponytail and put back on your goggles, ready to do the honors.
You stand up, look at the reagent you just prepared in the burette, more precisely to his meniscus and finally position your hands on the lever while the other one is holding the beaker. You carefully push the lever open and slowly the first drop falls into the beaker. You immediately start wiggling it gently so it could all mix up and you could see in time when it would change color. You patiently continue to monitor the drops and the color of the reagent, untill your eyes catch a small tint of green. Your heart tightens and you promptly push close the lever, immediately moving away the beaker in case a drop was going to fall for error. And fortunately you did so, as you look at the reagent becoming from transparent to an almost neon green in a second as another drop falls from the burette to the table. Just one more and you had to do it all over again. But not this time.
Peter gently pats you on your back while slowly taking the beaker from your shaky hands. It takes you a moment to realize you were holding your breath untill now and so you start slightly gasping for air.

"You did great Y/n! The reaction went perfectly. I almost didn't see it changing color."

You take off your goggles and look at the now finished antiserum on the table for a moment. You really did it. You made it right. And now you could save Mr. Norman with it.

"I did it... I really did it!"

Still gasping for air, you curl up a smile, a proud smile with widened eyes, throwing your hands up in the air and glancing at Peter who's looking at you. Without hesitation, you hug him as he slightly recoils from the impact with an "Oof", patting you again on the back like a proud mentor.

"You finished the serum for the Goblin?"

The others quickly approach as they hear the amazing news. You two break the hug and turn towards the group with smug smile. You carefully take the beaker and show the team your success. The two Peters lean to look at it closely and nod as the Peter from this world takes it.

"Good job Y/n and Peter! I'll take it and pour it in its container. A sort of syringe so you can easily inject it when you... face him."

Still excited you glance back at your Peter that, after giving a final proud look, goes back to the lab table. One out of four was done.
You were going to go after him and see if you could help with something else but the other Peter stops you.

"Hey Y/n, I...uuh. Well I am also almost done with my reaction here and... I could use a good eye like yours if you don't mind."

Knowing that your Peter was going to work on a solution for the Sand Man and knowing that you had little if none knowledge on the technic and mechanic part of the cure... You were more than glad to help him. Especially since he was more reluctant on asking help. So you happily nod and follow him, putting on new gloves and your goggles back on, ready for another chemical reaction.