𝒙𝒗𝒊. more than just a fairytale

Start from the beginning

Juniper finally spoke up, feeling Jake's lingering gaze bore onto her, "what's wrong, Jake?" He frowned and went to protest that nothing was wrong until Juniper cut him to it, "Jake, I know something's wrong. You are acting more cautious than before. It's worrying."

Jake knew he couldn't hide his emotions from the teenager as she was seemingly great at reading the man. Maybe it was all the time he'd be spending time with her, getting the closure he needed since Neytiri dragged him over. He didn't know but hated it. Jake didn't want to put his worries on top of Juniper, but as she stared at him pleadingly, wanting to know what was on his mind, he spoke hoarsely, "it's the baby," An expression of dread overwhelmed Juniper's face, which Jake noticed and was quick to comfort the girl, "the baby's fine. I guess I'm just worried."

"About the baby being okay?" She asked, not giving Jake enough time before she softly comforted the man, "the baby will be fine, Jake. More than fine. Whatever it is—whether it is a boy or a girl—they'll grow strong and into a warrior."

Despite Juniper's encouraging words, Jake couldn't rid of the nagging feeling in his stomach. It wasn't about the baby per se, but about him—about how would he be like as a dad. If he couldn't protect Juniper, how the hell was he going to protect a child of his very own? He shook his head, lowering it down, "I know that. I'm more worried about being a father," Juniper knitted her brows together, staying silent to give Jake space to talk, "I couldn't protect you, June. How am I supposed to take care of the kid when I've already failed as a dad."

"You have not failed as a dad," She remarked instantly. Jake was slightly surprised at the stern tone she used, portraying her voice as strong, "you can't change what happened. So you live with it, and you carry it with you. You learn from before. It was Quaritch's doing, and there was no protecting me, Jake. That kid needs you," Juniper sighed, feeling the words she knew she had to say being trapped against the back of her throat.

Jake noticed her hesitance, taking the girl's smaller hand in his own, "Juniper," He called out her name, his voice being gentle, "what is it? Baby girl?"

The Vespera closed her eyes briefly before opening them up once again. Juniper cleared her throat and fought back her emotions trying to rise to the surface, "you need to stop coming here and see me," Jake felt as if his heart had been ripped into two. He felt the same way right then and there when he watched Juniper's life fade from her eyes, "you're about to become a father, and you need to focus on that. And to do that, you have to let me go, Jake."

He shook his head, "no ... no, I can't. I won't," Juniper hated the man's stubbornness towards the situation, but remained to sit through his words, "Juniper, I was your dad, and I can't let you go."

Juniper smiled solemnly, turning her body around so she now faced Jake whilst he stared ahead. The girl grasped his shoulder, leaning into his figure, and Jake wrapped his arms around the girl tightly, knowing that this was going to be the last time in however long it would be when they see each other again. Continuing to grasp each other in solace, Juniper whispered, "you can, Jake. I know you can. Not only as Jake but as Toruk Makto. As the father of your unborn child. It's okay. I'm ready."

Juniper remembered back to when she first found out about Jake siding with the sky people before he changed and fell in love with Pandora. Juniper sniffled at the memory of her sitting down with Zuzip, a single thought plaguing her mind: Juniper felt like she was never going to have the courage to be let go of. Now ... Juniper was ready to be freed. For Jake to let the girl go.