chapter 17 • they both thought the other didn't give a fuck about them

Start from the beginning

"yeah, only 8 short years after all my friends had their first sleepover." alex spoke sarcastically.

"hey, be thankful that abuelita and i are being so cool about it. i vetted the mom. she was in the israeli army, super strict. no guns in the home, liquor cabinet's locked, no large dogs. she gets it." penelope informed.

"okay, i color-coded the panel schedule so we can hit as many as we can before the dungeons and dragons session. roll a d20, with a plus-5 to fun!" elena grinned, holding a clipboard.

alex glanced over at syd. "blink twice if you need help."

"you're not gonna have time to talk to each other." penelope read over the schedule.

"this is our first date, okay? i really like syd, and i want them to like me back, so i packed our day full of stuff so i have no time to be awkward. that's what's so brilliant about this schedule! we never have to talk." elena whispered.

"mmm. talking is a good thing. i bet you that doctor who even talks to his.. patients."

"he's not that kind of doctor."

"he is a time lord, everybody knows this." lydia called out.

"what's your costume? the wicked witch of the east side?" penelope questioned.

"don't make jokes about witchcraft. it's like santería. i don't believe in it, but i respect it." lydia adjusted her dress.

"you look good." cherry complimented.

"we're catching pagliacci at the san diego opera house. for some reason, i've always empathized with sad clowns." leslie sighed.

"you guys gotta get moving. lets go! come on! I have so much studying to do. i'm gonna miss you guys, but you gotta beat the traffic, i gotta hit the books." penelope said, motioning the entire family out of the house. "ah, i'm gonna pull an all-nighter, make some little flashcards, i'm gonna do some highlighting. al right, i'm gonna miss you guys so much!"

«───── « ʚ♡ɞ » ─────»

the group only made it to the bottom floor, before a loud police helicopter interrupted them.

"we're in pursuit of a dangerous suspect. he is armed. everyone, go back inside and do not leave your building." the speaker called out.

"i'll protect you. jump into my arms." cherry said, and moved her purse.

alex laughed.

the group walked back up the stairs quickly, and returned to the apartment.

lydia tried to open the door, but it was locked.

"lupe! there is a murderer running loose!" lydia called out.

"okay, coming!" penelope said, and opened the door. "oh, you guys are back. great."

"there's a police helicopter out there. they're not letting us leave." alex said, and took a seat on the couch.

"ruined me and alex's first date." cherry joked.