Chapter 4: The Fortuneteller

Start from the beginning

Miyuki folded her arms. It was hard to read the woman's words, given there was a mix of things that could be guessed easily and a mix of things that would be harder to guess at a glance. "There's quite a bit about love."

"Yes, for this love of yours ties deeply to your life. You meet him at a young age, and his influence on your life is significant. He pushes you to the right places at the right time or to develop and hone your skills unknowingly. When the time comes, he will fight for you no matter how many times you turn him down. It will be a happy union, but only if you truly accept that you are not always correct in your predictions and that some things are truly worth risking your heart for."

"And if I don't?" she found herself asking, not because she would intentionally try not to, but because she didn't believe in herself enough to risk herself like that. Not again.

"Are you worried that you will not be able to?"

"Yes."

The old woman hummed thoughtfully. "You must believe in yourself. When the time comes, you will be able to, and things will turn out as I predict. I see that you have a love for games, so, when I am correct, I hope you will come back to tell me the tale. If I am incorrect, come back to me and I will find a way to compensate you in return."

"Very well. I accept these terms."

"I suspect that I can hold you to this promise."

Miyuki chuckled. "May I ask you one last question?"

The old woman nodded. "Of course."

"The man that you see me marrying- why? Why does he pick me?"

"You should ask him for yourself when the time comes." The old woman smiled knowingly, and for the first time since their conversation began, Miyuki didn't feel as though it was just for show.

"Alright. Thank you." Miyuki ducked into a slight bow before standing up. "If your destiny reading comes true, I'll come back to tell the tale. I hope that if the time comes, you'll share your stories about how you became a fortune teller, traveled around the Earth Kingdom to hone your skill, and rose to prominence here."

The old woman's eyes widened and Miyuki shrugged.

"Like you said, we both read people." With that, she walked out of the fortuneteller's building where she found the exiled prince waiting for her by the door.

"I'll never understand why girls like fortune telling so much," he began in a sort of grumble.

"I don't particularly like them, per se," she began. "But this particular fortune teller... She's interesting, I'll give her that much."

"What did she tell you?"

She hummed. "That I'll marry a powerful person. A powerful bender with strength of heart and a high social standing. That our union will be like the sun and the moon. And when it does happen, I will come back here and tell her the tale as compensation."

"That's pretty confident of her."

"It is. Interested in asking her as well?"

"Maybe a little." He grumbled his answer so quietly, she couldn't not push his arm and make fun of him.

"Go on then and find out about your destiny. Let me know what she says, and maybe I'll send out an inquiry for your fated one." She winked at him. "I can handle looking for the Avatar and some girl at the same time, I'm sure."

He pushed her arm back but walked into the fortuneteller's anyway.

·:*¨༺ ★ ༻¨*:·.