Demons Chapter 28

Start from the beginning

I did manage to pay Leyla's hospital bill first though, so that was at least something.  It didn't make up for what I'd done to her, but at least her family could heal now without that financial burden.

Although Belial didn't succeed in killing all those that I cared about, he did take everything else.  I didn't have an exorcist license anymore, nor would likely get one ever again.  I couldn't afford to keep my condo, plus it'd been trashed.  All the trust I'd built with Dan and Bali was gone.  Aspen would probably never love me again.

And he'd taken the last of my family. 

He'd promised to break me into pieces and he'd succeeded.

I clutched my dad's bible tight to my chest as Claudia stepped into the makeshift circle we'd subconsciously constructed with our bodies.

"Frank was a great exorcist.  He was also a good man and a good friend.  I will miss him."

I stepped into the circle with her, bent down and gathered a handful of graveyard dirt.  I held it out to her.

Nodding to me, she took the dirt.  "Exsisto procul pacis."  She tossed it into the breeze.

One by one they stepped into the circle and tossed the dirt into the air, offering his soul up to the heavens.  They each spoke in Latin, asking for him to be at peace.  Aspen was second to last and when she dug a hand into the ground, tears rolled down her cheeks.

I wanted to tell her it would be okay. But in truth, it wasn't.  And I wasn't sure if it ever would be again.

She spoke the words and tossed the dirt, then stepped out of the circle, leaving me as the last.

I looked at each and every person in the circle who had come.  Some were here because of their love and respect for my dad, others for me.  I appreciated them all for their reasons.  And somehow I thought I should say something to them all, something that could ease their pain, give reasons for what had happened.

But nothing would come.

I didn't have those words.  Not for them.  Not for myself.

Instead, I buried my hand into the dirt that was going to bury my dad and gathered it into my palm.  I looked down at the rich black soil, squeezing it in my fist, hoping beyond hope that my dad knew how much I had cared.  How much I had loved him even though I hadn't shown him in many years.

I lifted my closed hand up.  "Dad, you were always my hero. Even when you weren't."  I opened my hand and let the breeze carry the dirt away.  "Exsisto procul pacis."

The others watched the dust float away, and then turned to leave.

I didn't acknowledge any of them.  Just stared down at my empty hand, wondering what the hell I was going to do now.

I felt movement at my side and I looked up.  Claudia gave me a small smile.  "If you need anything.  Call me."

I need a new life, Claudia, can you help me there?

She hugged me tight, then released me and walked swiftly to catch up with Remy and the others.

I watched her go, and then my gaze swept the area and settled on Aspen.  She'd yet to move and was staring at me. Dina leaned down and said something into her ear.

Wiping away her tears, Aspen walked to me.

I held my breath until she was a foot away.  "I...I tried to see you in the hospital."

"I know."

"Asp, I..."

"I'm sorry about your dad."

I nodded, trying to keep the tears from falling.  "Thanks."

"Thank you for saving me," she said quietly, her voice quavering.  More tears rolled down her pink cheeks.

I raised my hand and wiped her tears with my thumb.  "Any time, babe."

She didn't smile like I wanted her to.  She just stared at me with her intense blue gaze, liquid with tears.  "I wanted you to know that Mom's making me go away for awhile." She chewed on her bottom lip.  "I'm not sure when I'll be back."

"Where you going?"

"Ireland, I think.  Mom thinks it will be good for me to go back.  I guess we have family there.  Who knew?"

My stomach clenched.  I didn't want her to go.  "Sounds like a good idea."

"Caden," she raised her hand and cupped my cheek in her palm.  "I'm so sorry.  I want to stay here with you."

"It's okay, really, Asp.  You're mom's right, you need to go rest and heal.  It'll give me time to figure out what the hell I'm going to do."

She nodded, then dropped her hand, turned and started to go back to where Dina was waiting for her.  But I grabbed her hand to stop her.

"Do you have to leave now?"  I tried to keep the pleading in my voice down, but even I could hear it.

She glanced over her shoulder at her mom.  Dina gave her a small smile and waved.

"No.  I can stay for awhile."

"Do you want to go get some pancakes?"

She smiled.  "Sure."

We started to walk.  After a few minutes, I felt her hand against mine.  I looked down and linked my fingers with hers.  Her hand was warm against mine and I smiled.  Maybe for a little while I could think about something else besides the death of my father and the demise of my life.

Maybe for a little while I could just be a guy holding hands with his girl, hoping to make out with her later.