she listened to his words and took them in. "okay. i'll see."

there was a brief moment of silence between them before he spoke again.

"are you going to hyunjin's party on saturday?"

"most likely."

he smiled. "good."

after school that day she went to dongyoung's café and to her surprise she saw renjun sat by himself on a table with a coffee and sketchbook.

"you gonna sit with him?" dongyoung asked.

she turned to him and picked her coffee from the counter. "i'll see if he wants company." which was exactly what she did.

"hey!" he moved his stuff closer to him to give her space.

"hi, i didn't know you came here?" she said in a questioning tone.

"sometimes."

it turned out he did want company so hyerin stayed and spoke to him for little over an hour before he realised he needed to hurry up for his shift at the art store so he scurried off and hyerin went home to see her uncle already there and jeju rubbing up on her legs.

"you're home early," she pointed out, slipping on some slides.

"that's because i have a surprise."

by the grin on his face, she knew it wasn't anything good.

"i'm terrified." she dropped her bag by the stairs before following him into the living room.

there, she was greeted with a puppy jumping around. a german shepherd puppy with floppy ears and a lot of fur.

"oh my god," she gasped and crouched down to pet it. "how? when did you adopt him?"

"i've been doing some behind the scenes work at work and stuff. he's pretty cute, right?" he crossed his arms over his chest. "now name him."

"you haven't?"

"not feeling very creative today, so, up to you."

she thought for a few seconds while giving the puppy a lot of love.

"rocky?"

"excellent." he clapped his hands together.

hyerin snapped a quick picture of the new puppy before uploading it onto her instagram story. speaking of instagram, she'd received a notification that donghyuck had liked her picture but this time hadn't commented.

"i've brought all the supplies as well. i didn't know if you'd have the time or want to go with me so i bought them by myself. look at his bed."

it was a cosy bed that was way too big for the puppy but the perfect size for when he was fully grown. it even matched the colours of the living room.

"so this is gonna be our guard dog?" she teased.

her uncle chuckled. "how was your day at school?"