[13] new beginnings

Start from the beginning

i can't tell where he's going with this, but my curiosity allows him to continue, "is it true you moved back in with xavi?" is that how fast word spreads within the club? "yeah, i did." something on my hands must be really interesting because i can't even look up to face him like before. "and you did that because...?"

"i don't know. something, more so someone made me feel as though it was never home after all. i missed xavi too, i guess."

i know i said i was over it, but that just goes to show how much of a liar i am.

i don't think i'll ever be over it, or able to forget it.

his arms fall to the able and he's also fidgeting with them. "y/n, can you please look at me?" not without bursting into tears and remembering everything that was said. but i do it anyways, or else we're never getting anywhere. "the last thing i wanted you to feel as if you were unwanted in that house, why would you leave?!"

"because you were right. jana and salma really were just babysitting me the first few months."

he sighs in frustration and i finally put my hands on the table with my wrists on the edge. "they love you, y/n. you're anything but a bother to them. what i said came out of anger. none of it was true."

if only he said that at the time. it all felt true.

"whatever, i'm back with xavi and i don't mind it."

it's temporary is what i like to say.

but if we're really owning up to things then.. "you're not a bad player by the way, i was also upset. you're-"

"i'm a horrible player. i'm anything you think i am because theres no way you're trying to apologize right now."

that's exactly what i was trying to do.

"can i speak?" i finally look up at him with a pleading look for just a few words to get through to him. he nods but he also doesn't bother to look at me just as i did to him. "i admire you on the field, gavi. i don't say this out of pity, i say it out of sincerity. but you're definitely not who i expected you to be."

"well it's not exactly the impression i was trying to give off either, y/n. you didn't deserve that. i never even imagined myself telling you that,"

he pauses like he's trying to get his whole thought through.

"i can't imagine you not being here. there's nothing anyone wants more than you being here with barça. you coming here should never feel like a regret and i'm so sorry i made it seem like that. you're perfect in every way possible, it's not even funny! i just- i never realized that, and the one chance i had to get to know you i screwed up. i really want to know you from the very beginning and i'm not expecting you to forget what i said, it'd just be nice to start... somewhere."

i tilt my head before i realize how long and hard i was staring the entirety of that apology.

"i don't think starting all over sounds so bad."

it actually sounds nice. and it's not like he's expecting me to forget either, he's asking for nothing in return at all. "really?"

"as long as you forgive me."

"i feel as though i had forgiven you on the spot, i'm past that, y/n. this is all i wanted from you."

"cool."

"cool?"

"i mean yeah, i didn't end up in tears like the other times this conversation was even brought up in my mind. we're already making progress!"

"y/n-"

"no this is good!" i try to reassure but his lips form into a line before dropping his head and shaking it.

i stretch over the table slightly to part his hair to the side and pick his head up by his chin, "gavi, we'll be alright. i can even make you that promise."

"alright then, come here then."

he scoots over from his side of the booth as i get out to go over, more confused than ever.

"i say we swap spits and shake-"

"you're actually disgusting. why'd i even come over here?!" there's no doubt in mind it made me laugh because of how unexpected that was. "it was a joke, jeez. but i do wanna promise you that this new friendship will be better than the last one we were trying to start." 

"that's sweet because i'd also love nothing more and to keep that same promise." so although we're gonna take it slow, he still decides to bring me into a small hug that doesn't get to last when the waiter finally arrives with our order.

we either took really fast to apologize, or they took forever and that was the longest apology ever.

"okay now start chewing cuz i didn't tell anyone but xavi and i don't feel like taking some with us."

i hope you guys know that nights by frank ocean contributed to the chapter name 🙏