oo Chapter Three oo

Start from the beginning

The woman's eyes, a bright hazel, light up at the question. "Lovely question, indeed." She chirps, spinning to the statue.

I want her out of our lives. She's a nuisance.

I clench my jaw. We don't even know if she is even involved in Steven's life. It's not as if Steven is going to be a danger to us. He deserves a life outside of me. Except I'm married... separated, technically. I sent Layla divorce papers months ago. I haven't received the news, so technically I'm still married.

Steven can still... technically date without it being cheating. Maybe? I do not... I do not care what his love life is. Just as long as it doesn't interfere in my job. The woman harps on about some low-level goddess, who's a nymph, who serves in the underworld with Hecate. She throws a casual arm in the statue's direction.

My gaze follows her arm, as does most of the crowd. The Hecate statue, I'm presuming, stands tall amongst the other gods with a snake wrapped around her body and a torch in hand. The two hounds sitting near the woman's feet impressed me. The woman speaks to the other god despite the attention being elsewhere.

"Melinoë was a goddess birthed by Persphone, the goddess of the underworld and the goddess of spring, and who father her is a bit questionable. Some say it is Zeus who impregnated Persphone, Others say it was Hades. Either way, during ancient Greece, Zeus and Hades were often seen as syncretized together. Persephone gave birth to Melinoë in the River of Cycotus. Melinoë-" I zone out the drawn out presentation, anxious to get out of the museum.

The exhibit was finally over. Apparently, Steven stupidly picked the last one of the day. Closing was starting. I need to get his card soon or I'm screwed when he takes back the body. He always expects cards from our mother. That woman.

I turn to leave, when Steven's name is called. It's the tour guide. I was right. Of course, I was right. And Khonshu is furious. Looking over my shoulder, the woman walks up to me, excited. She's grinning. Overzealously grinning. It's beautiful, I'll admit it. She's radiating. But I cannot be here any longer, and the museum is about to close.

"How did I do?"

I notice she scratches her neck before her hand moves to her cheek. She's nervous. "Good." I keep my statement short.

She looks confused. Why? Her head tilts looking at me. Her eyes swipe over me before resting on my hand.

"Um... I didn't think you would come today. So I thought I would get an explanation as to why I didn't at least..." she trails off.

I press my lips together. "I should go." I try.

She looks upset, looking up at me. Same like Layla. Just like Layla. The thought hurts to the core. I do miss her.

"But... we were going to Martin's after this and I packed you food, too. I know you don't feed yourself enough. So I just... I simply assumed you wanted to spend more time with me... like you said." Her voice deflated at the end.

The guilt fills my chest, but I need her out of Steven's life. It's safer. Even if Steven isn't in danger... I believe we can put her in danger in the future. I hesitate to speak. She looks hurt. "Fine." I state. "Let's go to Martin's." I turn and walk out.

CRYSTAL

I closed the exhibit. Melinoë hums, staring after Steven. I feel hurt by his short answers. He's acting differently. His voice is cold and odd. It's weird. I don't get it. He didn't have to show up if he was going to act like a perk.

Staring at the door, I set my head on it. I want to go home. Go to sleep and try this entire thing again. Maybe I'll reschedule the date. Maybe he'll understand. I don't understand why Steven's treating me this way. I groan, tossing my head back. Let's go.

Walking to the exit, I scan my nametag, clocking out for the day. Waving to the guard, he nods his head. I leave the museum, looking for Steven. He's surprisingly waiting for me at the bottom of the steps.

I walk down, folding my arms. Stepping beside him, I stare at the pedestrians walking around us. "I want to go home." I told him. I don't look over at him.

"Not to Martin's?" He says.

There it is again. His accent isn't there. It's nerve racking. Looking over, I can see his maroon eyes void of emotions. It's not normal. But what the hell is wrong with him? Steven seems bored with our interaction. I look away, clenching my fist. My annoyance builds.

"No. I just want to go home." I see if he'll fight me on this.

Steven hums beside me. I look over again. He's looking off in the distance, his hands tucked in his pocket. I notice an edge of a card. My chest squeezes. There's someone else. My god I'm so fucking stupid. Glaring at the side of his face, I decide to leave. I can't do this anymore. It's confusing. He's frustrating.

Sitting on the roof, I lean against the chimney, looking at the balcony across from me. Melinoë sits across from me, waving her hands to chunk up the rocks. "You know, stalking your boyfriend is weird." Melinoë points out.

I glare at her. "He's being weird." I explain.

"No, you're being weird right now. Plus, we need to go. We have work to do." Melinoë stands.

I sigh, standing up. Looking at Steven's apartment. Nothing. There's no movement. I turn away, walking over to the building's edge to catch if anyone is in the alley. Jumping down, I land on my feet. Melinoë's suit vanishes off me.

Walking out of the alley, I pop my headphones in and play my Spotify playlist. Melinoë walks alongside me. Glancing back at Steven's apartment, I don't see anything. Too bad. I huff. That sucks. I hoped he would do something that would explain his weird behavior.

MARC

Standing on the rooftop, I stared at the home, wondering why Khonshu wanted us to stop. I look at Khonshu, perched on the edge of the roof, watching a window to the right. Walking over, I stand beside him. "What is it, Khonshu?" I wonder.

Who is it I have to kill?

"The girl."

Looking up at him, I feel confused. Khonshu turns his beaked face in my direction. I turned my head back in the direction he was watching. The girl? What girl? I tense up, seeing Steven's girl walking onto the balcony in shorts and a tank top.

"Why are we here?" I nearly yell.

"Watching her. I don't trust her." Khonshu states.

If I didn't have the wrappings of Khonshu suit on, I'm sure he would see the surprise look on my face. Staring at him, I try to wrap my brain around what exactly he wants me to do with her.

"Watch her? You didn't want any part of her this morning. What changed?"

Khonshu hums, walking onto the roof. "Perspective, Spector." Khonshu says, holding his staff. "Let's leave." Khonshu vanishes.

Lowering my head, I feel frustrated. So, he had me dismiss her for nothing. Now Steven has to try to fix this. What a wonder. I turn my head to see her on the phone. She doesn't look pleased. I ran off, jumping to the next roof. I don't have time for this. OR her. I need to get to my next target. In Rome, of all places.