Chapter 4 - Mates

I woke up in my bed, not knowing how I got there.

I sniffed around, smelling something amazing.

My parents would never do something like this, seeing as how they completely ignore my existence. So that must mean someone else is making food.

I smelled something else, not knowing what it is.

'MATE!! I smell our mate!!' 

Ezra, my wolf, shouted at me. 

'Mate? What are you talking about?'

'I smell our mate!! He's close!!'

'He's probably the one making breakfast,' I replied.

I swung my feet over the side of my bed and walked out of my room.

The smells grew stronger as I walked closer to my kitchen.

I peeked in and was shocked to see Felix standing there, flipping pancakes with bacon in a separate pan next to him.

 My mouth started watering as I could almost taste the sizzling bacon.

(I'm getting hungry from all this description. I want food.)

He must have smelled or heard me because he turned around and smiled at me.

I eyed him skeptically and walked to the kitchen island. He seemed to dislike my look because his ears flattened on his head and I swore I heard a small, sad whimper.

He instantly became happy again when he saw me sniffing at the food. He turned around again and fixed up a plate.

It had fluffy pancakes and sticky syrup with hot, smoky bacon. I felt myself drooling but I didn't care. I hadn't had a breakfast like this for a long time.

He smirked at my expression and raised the plate of deliciousness over his head.

Jerk!

'He's gonna regret doing that. I'll make him know he did something wrong,' I thought deviously to myself.

I whined and walked up to him.

I leaned my face onto his chest and looked up at him with big puppy eyes.

He staggered a little and blushed at our position.

I put my hands on his chest and whimpered,

"Please?"

He blushed harder and I'll admit so did I. I finally realized what I was doing, it clicked in my brain how stupid I probably looked. I started thinking about how dumb I looked and that even if Felix was my mate, he probably hated me. He'd reject me.

I faltered and started to tear up.

He noticed and apologized.

"H-Hey, wait. Here you can have the food! I didn't mean to make you cry. I'm sorry!"

I sniffed and reassured,

"It's not you... *sniff* I just-- *sob* --don't want you to leave me... But I hate you!! You're always mean to me!! Why?! Why would you do those things to me?! Why am I feeling like this!?"

I continued rambling and crying and pounding lightly on his chest with my fists before he pulled me into a hug.

He whispered,

"Everything I did was stupid. I did those things to try and deny the fact that you're my mate. It hurt me to see you cry and in pain. I'm sorry."

I relaxed a little in his comforting hold.

'He's apologizing!! Forgive him!!'

'But he did so many horrible things to us...'

'But he's saying he hated doing them!!'

He's right...

"Do you really mean that?"

He pulls away and looks at me with desperate eyes.

"Yes. I really do. And I'll do anything you want to prove that."

"Stop bullying me at school," I said instantly.

"Done."

He snapped his fingers for effect.

I paused.

'Was he really going to?'

I eyed the breakfast. The pancakes were still steaming, meaning they were still nice and hot.

"...Have breakfast with me..."

He smiled and nodded. He walked over to the stove and fixed himself a plate of bacon and pancakes. Then grabbed mine and took them to the kitchen island.

I slowly walked over to him and cautiously sat down next to him.

He handed me my fork and said,

"You look cute in my clothes."

I looked down to see myself still in just his boxers and hoodie. I didn't even notice, I was too comfortable.

"T-thanks..?"

He chuckled and started eating.

I was starving and his food looked delicious so I dug in too.

The food was wonderful and I expressed this by making noises of approval.

"Mmm~ This is so good!"

He blushed at the compliment and scratched the back of his neck sheepishly.

"It's nothing. Your parents have probably made breakfasts better than this."

I shook my head dramatically and casually commented,

"Not at all. They barely feed me. I usually do everything to keep myself healthy. But I've never made breakfast like this."

He was shocked to hear this.

"Why?"

I shrugged, stuffing another bite of pancake in my mouth.

"I tried once, but I was caught and they said I didn't deserve nice things. They forbid me of making myself a nice breakfast."

He was even more surprised to hear that.

"What?! Why would they do that?"

I shrugged again.

"They always said I did something wrong. But they never told me wha--"

"Probably because you didn't do anything wrong and they just wanted to pick on you. What horrible people!"

I looked at him. He was genuinely caring about my living conditions. Or was he just pulling on an act?

He looked back at me and his expression softened.

"Okay, so let me get this straight. Your parents don't care about you at all, but they still manage to make you believe you're always doing things wrong and that you don't deserve good things. What else do they do? What do they say?"

I thought back to the horrible things my parents did to me. I'd once been playing in the living room and knocked over my mom's vase. It broke and she punished me for it.

"They.. hurt me sometimes..."

To Be Continued...

Author's Note: Now you have someone new to loathe. Please vote on the chapter!!

Word Count: 910.