Chapter 10: Light Switch

Start from the beginning

"Sorry, are you not?" The male from before cautiously stated after eyeing her reaction, "I just thought you were considering the text message Rindo showed us."

'Text message...?' She thought in puzzlement.

"No, she's not my girlfriend. She's a stalker," the blonde looked over at (y/n) as if she's the crazy one, "She wouldn't take no for an answer and demanded I bring her over."

The (e/c)-eyed teen was definitely offended by what he said, however, was still focused on what was mentioned earlier. Suddenly, a light bulb lit in her mind as (y/n) slammed her hands on the counter.

"I knew that you typed that text message to blackmail me!" She grabbed the water bottle he was holding, and squeezed the water onto his face. Rindo, in turn, immediately turned away and sputtered out any liquid that entered his mouth— receiving a howl of laughter emitting from the four other boys.

"I like you already," the light-colored hair teen, to which she remembered was Shion, spoke, "It's finally time that somebody other than us knocked down Rin's confidence a bit. The name's Madarame Shion, how about you?"

Coming out of her state of anger, the young girl finally remembered that she was in a room full of delinquents, "Uh... I'm (l/n) (y/n)."

"Oh I remember you," Ran walked over and she unknowingly tensed.

"Sorry..." she apologized and Ran tilted his head and rose a brow in confusion, "About our first meeting. I still stand by what I said but..."

"It's whatever, you just caught me in a bad mood," the older Haitani gave her a jeering smirk, "I actually enjoy your attitude so you'll be a great fit if you hang out with us."

"About that—" she started but Rindo cut her off.

"Anyways, that's Yasuhiro Muto," he pointed to the short-haired blonde sitting on the couch, then proceeded to point to the male with long, black hair styled into a mohawk and ended into a little braid, "And that's Kanji Mochizuki."

Giving a small wave, she noticed the boy with the scar on his face approach her with an extended hand, "Sorry about what I said, I should have know that Rin was playing around. I'm Kakucho, by the way."

(Y/n) smiled and returned the apologetic handshake, "It's fine. It's all his fault."

"Yeah, it is," Kakucho walked over to Rindo and lightly smacked the upside of his head. The blonde frowned and rubbed his head whilst (y/n) stifled a giggle, "Sorry if this is too much to ask, but please take care of him. He can be such a handful sometimes."

"Oi—!" Rindo exclaimed and at this point, the (h/c)-nette couldn't contain her laughter, "You're not that much older than me."

"Anyways, glad to have a new face around," Kakucho ignored the younger boy before giving (y/n) a polite smile. He spun back around to his friends who started up another riot in the back, "Nice meeting you."

She returned the smile before turning to Rindo with a proud expression, "Your friends are much more likable than you, Haitani."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever. Although, it backfired more than I thought," he then sneered at her as (y/n) brought her water bottle up to her lips, "I didn't think that they'd see that as dating. Why would I have a pest like you as my girlfriend? You're a solid three, at best."

She choked.

"And your personality is a solid negative ten... at best," the female stuck out her tongue and decided that she should no longer try quenching her thirst— the last two attempts nearly killing her, "I pity the person who actually wants to date you."

"But, at least, my friends know you now," Rindo released a relieved sigh, "They wouldn't question us when we're out finding the guys who are after me and Ran."

The more he talks about it, the more (y/n) became curious than she was in the beginning of the deal. Still, it wasn't her business but she couldn't help her lips parting to question him.

"What?" The violet-eyed teen asked after noticing the girl's mouth opening to speak.

"It's..." she started but quickly shook her head, "Nothing."

|—~•~—|

The next hour was actually pretty pleasant. Kakucho invited the two sitting at the kitchen counter to join them in a game poker, and (y/n) found herself to be a terrible liar in the midst of gangsters. Although, she won one game and taunted Rindo who bet everything on it. Curses left him in a string of nonsense as the (h/c)-nette would forever hold it against him.

She thought she would be uncomfortable hanging around people with the like mindset of Rindo, and yet, they were okay. It's not like they tried to talk to her— in fact, it seemed as though she didn't exist— but that in itself was reassuring. There wasn't the initial stage of awkwardness of trying to know each other.

"Thank you for the stay," (y/n) bowed once she gathered her things and stood by the door. Everyone was tired— Muto and Mochizuki were knocked out after drinking some alcohol— and she figured that she could see herself out.

"Wait, have Rin walk you home," Kakucho suggested and both (y/n) and Rindo snapped their attention at him as if he had two heads, "It's dark out and some gangs are probably hanging outside."

"Hah?" Rindo scrunched his face into a look of incredulousness, "She can handle it."

Kakucho shook his head in disappointment but (y/n) picked up something from his tone. Although she lacked the confidence to actually defend herself in a precarious situation, she realized that Rindo actually meant what he said— whether or not he noticed it himself. He really thinks she's capable of taking care of herself in the face of danger.

Shaking her head to rid of the thought, she raised a hand in rejection, "It's fine. The walk to the train is not that long."

"Rindo," Shion announced before tilting his head towards the girl, "Walk her to the station."

The younger boy opened his mouth to protest, but quickly closed it. Rindo stood up, grabbed his jacket laying on the couch, and walked over to the (h/c)-haired female.

"Come on, let's go," he simply said and headed out first. (Y/n) bowed her head before closing the door after him.

Kakucho and Shion exchanged a knowing glance. The light-colored hair teen broke the silence first by muffling his laughter behind his hand.

"Damn, that's a first," Shion said after a fit of laughter.

Kakucho shook his head with a small grin, "Never thought I would see Rin look so frustrated. It's like he's solving a puzzle but missing a piece."

"I wonder when he'll realize that he likes her around," Ran spoke up from the couch as the other two males looked at him, "She's probably the first person other than us who hangs out with him. It's actually pretty weird that he's friends with someone who's not affiliated into a gang."

"Do you think he actually enjoys her presence?" Kakucho questioned, "They look like they hate each other."

"Pfft, of course they don't like each other," Ran chuckled, "But I think Rindo doesn't realize why he hates her so much. I mean, when was the last time somebody who's not a gangster came to talk to us normally? It would piss me off too."

"I feel bad for her though," Shion sat the opposite from Ran and laid down on the couch, "She's not apart of our world. It would only hurt the both of them when they actually acknowledge each other as friends."

One corner of Ran's lips curled up as he closed his eyes and rested his arms behind his head.

"Well... as long as Rindo's happy."

—~—

Author's note: I wrote a spoiler warning on last chapter's A/N but I don't think it's visible :< But yes, this chapter was a slight spoiler regarding the characters involved. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Anyways, take care and see you in the next chapter :)