Enter the Hero

Number 4, Privet Drive, Surrey, England (Aug-08-1994)

A pair of eyes snapped open to reveal two emerald green irises. They wandered around the small room, taking in the peeling wallpapers and the many broken objects that filled the room, before coming to rest on a snowy female owl that was dozing peacefully in her cage. The eyes belonged to a tall, dark-haired individual who was now fully awake. His dorm-mates had always been in awe of his ability to go from a state of sleepy drowsiness to watchful wakefulness in a matter of seconds. But then again, Harry Potter had always been different.

Everything was quiet except for Dudley snoring in the next room. The twice-repaired alarm clock on his desk told him it was just before dawn. The Dursleys wouldn't be up for another two hours at least.

His scar was hurting again. Hurting, as it hadn't for more than two years now. The last time had been when he had stopped Quirrell from taking the Philosopher's stone. Flashes of the dream he had just had, came to him. Was it really a dream? It had seemed so real. He decided he needed a clear head before thinking about it.

Harry swung his long legs off the bed and got up, careful not to make any noise. He silently made his way to the bathroom, pausing only to take a thin piece of black cloth from his bedside table. The Dursley's did not know about his newly-acquired habit of rising early and he wished to keep it that way. At the wash-basin, Harry splashed some cold water on his face before looking in the mirror. Hair had just started growing on his face- the beginning of a moustache and a beard. As he had done routinely over the last year, Harry tied the piece of black cloth around his forehead like a halo, hiding the scar. His dark hair was messier than ever, given that he now his hair almost reached his shoulders. But it was the eyes which were the most remarkable feature, sparkling green, like water over a stone, calm, expressionless, holding their own secrets. The face that stared back at him could have belonged to as much a sixteenth-century bravo as James Potter.

Harry used the back door to exit the house. He walked out on to the road and stretched. Lupin had stressed on the importance of keeping physically fit. So Harry had cultivated the habit of jogging. And now, he felt peculiar throughout the day if he skipped his morning run. He started out slowly and then raised his pace to a steady soldier's trot that ate away the miles. He didn't stop until he reached a park four miles away. Harry had come here every morning since he had returned to Privet Drive. It was in a quiet neighborhood and was almost deserted except for a few other early morning walkers.

He made his way to his favorite bench in the park and dropped into it. The sun filtered mildly through the leaves of the giant oak tree under which the park bench was set. Harry almost felt sleepy again. Instead of succumbing, he sat up straight, legs on the ground, arms folded and eyes closed. Slowly, but deliberately, he started to empty his mind of all emotions. He concentrated on the dream he had had that morning, trying to remember it. The breeze was so pleasant, the sun so mild and the chirping of the birds so melodious, he caught himself drifting twice. Then the sounds around him faded away. He could still hear them, but like a distant echo.

He was seated on a beach, high above the sand, reading a book. The sounds of laughter came to him. He looked around and caught sight of two children playing in the sand. They were making sand-castles. As he watched, the little girl threw a bucket of water on the black-haired boy. He spluttered for a second. And then, reaching down, he neatly tripped the girl's knees from under her. She stumbled and fell head first into the sand-castle behind her. The boy's laughter rang out loud and clear.

Then suddenly, the seat Harry was sitting on began to move. He was rising into the air gently. Harry felt alive as he hadn't in days. This was better than any broom or hippogriff. He felt like he was moving in through the air without any support. Then he looked down to see he was sitting on something big and scaly. Then the scene changed abruptly.