𝟛𝟞. 𝔻𝕒𝕧𝕚𝕕 𝔾𝕚𝕝𝕞𝕠𝕦𝕣

Hi,

Surprise! New chapter so quickly and still within a week!

However I guess it's just a pathetic attempt to console myself before the Olympiad in my mother language (lovely feeling not liking the humanities subjects but going on to the Olympiad in them hahah) and I had to read some books about art, so here we are. Thanks for reading!

Love

June

"(Y/N), just don't tell me you're learning again." asked, although he actually stated the fact David, standing in the doorway of your boarding school room.

"David!" you turned abruptly as the man's unexpected appearance startled you. "You scared me." you added calmly.

"Ghoooosts! Although you'll be one if you don't put that book down for at least a moment." stated your boyfriend taking the art history textbook out of your hands and lifted it high so that you couldn't reach it.

"Give it back, I have to study!" you argued, trying to take the four-hundred-page volume relating to Dutch painting of the 17th century from him. "It's not long now until the session!"

"Session fashion, art historian the best profession, but you may need to take a break sometimes." argued your boyfriend with lovely smile, putting your book back on the cupboard, as if that could stop you from delving into the biography and analysis of Gerard ter Borch's style again.

"I'm taking breaks." you disagreed with him, but when both his and your gaze fell on a couple of dirty coffee cups stacked next to each other, even you couldn't fool yourself anymore.

You hadn't really had much rest for a while, because the session was approaching and you wanted to pass your exams as well as possible, as your application for a job at a well-known London art gallery depended on it. Usually you managed to balance your study time and your rest time, but recently you had fallen into a real vicious circle, as the number of books to read and material to memorise was far greater than the average person could cram into their head. You tried not to get discouraged, because even though studying became tedious at times you knew it was the only way you could fulfil your dreams.

"If you think by looking at this I'm going to believe you, then keep trying (Y/N), but a free moment won't hurt." stated David, and noticing that you didn't understand the allusion at all, he shook his head. "Darling, I know this is very important to you, but you need a respite. You're as beautiful as ever, but you look a bit like your own shadow."

Your boyfriend's eyes expressed worry. However, you didn't want to admit he was right, because you still had a lot of things to do and less and less time until exam week.

"Dave, believe me, I'm totally fine." you assured him by kissing his cheek, thinking he would give you a break after that.

"I know you, love. When you say you're 'totally fine', I know you're taking on too much." your boyfriend's face took on a more serious expression and his eyes looked at you with seriousness. However after a while his face was brightened by the familiar smile that told you David had one of his 'brilliant' ideas.

"No... No matter what you say I don't trust this smile." you stated before he had time to say anything.

"Oh yes, darling, yes. I promise you won't regret if you'll agree. Give me an hour, a little bit of time for your loving boyfriend, who just wants to spend the time with his wonderful girlfriend?" David winked, putting his arm around on your shoulders and changed his smile for this iconic flirty smile with dimples that was irresistible. "Please..."

"I have to learn." you tried, even if somewhere inside you really wanted to go, but you didn't want to interrupt learning sessions.

"The sooner we leave, the sooner you can get back to your books and I can give you peace of mind while you study." your boyfriend shrugged his shoulders and you rolled your eyes, even if you two knew you have just agreed. 

"Ok, but quickly, because I still have a hundred pages left and if I don't pass it, you explain to the committee why. " you said with irony, but he seemed undeterred by that.

"I agree, cause we all know you'll pass with high score." He stated cheerfully, hastily pulling on his shoes.

You dressed and stepped outside, your faces instantly swept by a cool breeze.

"So where are we going?" You asked, and again he shrugged his shoulders.

"As I think straight ahead, just try to relax." He squeezed your hand, sending warmth throughout your body.

And even though walking with him through the streets of London as he told you about how Roger got mad again, which distracted him, causing him to fall into a snowdrift generally seemed really pleasant, today was different. Your mind still couldn't get away from the thought that you should be studying now and you were wasting your precious time. You couldn't really call spending time with David a waste of time, more something you could do later, but now it was just distracting you from studying.

"You're worried, honey, I can see that. Penny for your secret thoughts?" David snapped you out of your reverie by staring at you with undisguised curiosity, and handing you a penny-five taken from his pocket.

"Sorry... I think we should get back, we'll do it again another day." You acknowledged him, and he sighed.

"You're still stressing about those exams, aren't you?" he asked caringly, kissing your cheek, as if to comfort you a little.

"Yes, it depends on it whether I get an internship at this gallery. I care about that." you stated, gazing at the pavement.

"You will definitely get this job. And even if in some strange way you won't, believe me, there are dozens of other galleries in London where someone as talented as you will be warmly welcomed." argued your boyfriend.

"You're just saying that to make it better for me." you said a little resignedly, even though you knew David meant well by telling you this.

"Not true. You're really good at what you do. I love listening to you talk about art - tell me something about what you're studying, I'll listen to a nice story, you'll revise information, okay?" he asked, and you shrugged your head a little uncertainly.

"Would you rather hear about Rembrandt or should I start with Jan Vermeer?" you asked, although by his expression he didn't know who either one or the other was. "Well, okay, why don't we start with Vermeer, because surely you saw that famous painting 'The Girl with the Pearl' sometimes referred to as the Mona Lisa of the North, didn't you?" you asked, and David nodded, clearly now more clued up on what was going on.

You began to tell him more about Vermeer's works and also about his life, until finally you excitedly moved on to describing other works by the 17th-century painters that you knew, and to your surprise, your boy listened attentively, not a single word coming out of his mouth during your obviously interesting monologue.

"If you don't pass this exam well after such a dissertation, I don't know what details you still need to know about Dutch painters." stated David, and you smiled at the thought that he was actually right and you realised how much you already knew when you turned it all from theory into practice. "By the way, it was a pleasure listening to you, I really don't know when we managed to get here."

Your corners of your mouth rose again at the compliment, but after a moment you were sad that it was the end of your walk.

"Dave?" you asked shyly, and he raised his eyebrows in anticipation. "Do you think we could walk a while longer?"

"And what do you think about hot chocolate?" he asked, and you could see a kind of satisfaction on his face that he had managed to relax you.

"Did Vincent Van Gogh paint 'Starry Night'?" you stated excitedly.

"You mean yes?" asked David, with a wry smile.

"I mean, of course yes, but in a nearby café in 1968, not Saint-Rémy in 1889." you joked, but your boyfriend still seemed puzzled by this artistic joke. "Van Gogh painted 'Starry Night ' in Saint-Rémy in 1889 from his imagination. You're dating an art history student, remember that, it's the basics." teased him.

"Of course, and with gain you can choose the amount of overdrive." he winked at you and now you had to wonder what he meant. "You're dating a guitarist, remember that, it's the basics." parodied you David, which made you laugh, which only proved that actually sometimes it's worth taking a little break and just having fun.