Chapter 10

Bucky stared at the ceiling two nights later; he couldn't sleep no matter how much his body needed him to; too many things were running through his head. He couldn't stop thinking about the Thunderbird's reaction to Mellan's failed attempt to heal its friend. Had Fern not been able to calm the creature, it was almost sure to flood Wakanda. Thankfully with Tony and Bruce's help, Shuri could finish the healing cradle and secure the Thunderbird to keep it from injuring itself further. Though nothing seems to be helping, they haven't seen any signs of progress with healing.

"I can hear your brooding," Fern muttered, rolling over to face Bucky.

Bucky rolled his eyes but smiled, looking down as she tangled herself in him. "I'm not brooding." He protested.

Fern scoffed, "Sure, you aren't big guy." Bucky sighed, staring into her forest-like eyes, sadly not getting lost in them but trying to dig deeper into them. The scans they had done showed nothing; there was no sort of activity that was previously there. Any indicator that she had abilities was gone.

"There's something wrong. Don't deny it; you know I can tell when you're lying." Fern sat up, making sure that Bucky couldn't avoid her.

"It's nothing, doll," Bucky tried his best to shrug her off, even when she told him not to.

"I will hurt you if I have to." Fern glared at the man as he tried to avoid eye contact now; she swung her leg over him, sitting on his chest and grabbing hold of his face. "Spill it, Barnes."

"You know, this," He motions to them, "Is only going to get me to love on you." Bucky's voice was deep as he grabbed hold of her waist and flipped them over, pinning Fern beneath him.

"Don't try and change the subject." Fern fought, trying to fight him off her as he swiftly grabbed her wrists in one hand, holding them above her head with his right hand and pinning her waist to the bed with his other.

"Subject changed," Bucky smirked, catching her lips with his. Once her wiggling stopped, he released her wrists and moved his right hand down to caress her cheek. Fern's hands fell into Bucky's hair combing through it and pulling at the hair at the nape of his neck.

"You need a trim. It's getting long again," Fern mutters, pulling at Bucky's hair as he runs his lips along her neck. She giggled as his scruffy bread tickled her collarbone. "The bread, too, though I do like it."

"Oh, you think so, huh?" Bucky laughs, beginning to tickle her thoroughly.

"Bucky!" Fern laughs, trying to fight against him. "Buck, stop," It was playful, but the shock Bucky was given in return felt anything but.

"Shit," Bucky gasps, sitting back. He rubs his shoulder where his metal arm connects to him.

"Are you okay?" Fern's quick to sit up and reach out for him. "What happened?" Bucky gave her a confused look. Did she not feel that too?

"A little shock. Probably some static." Bucky smiled, shaking it off. That shock had been anything but static.

Fern bit her lip, trying to read his face. She couldn't handle something happening to Bucky right now. "Are you sure? I'm sure Shuri or Tony is awake to make sure nothing is wrong."

"I'm fine, doll, promise. I'll have Shuri look at it in the morning if it makes you happy." He reassured her. And he would; Bucky knew that his arm stored information of any damage it took along with the rest of his body. Shuri always wanted to know what was going on with her tech and how it reacted to Bucky.

∆Ω∆

"That must have been the strongest static shock in the universe," Shuri glared at the numbers before her. "There is no true indication of it being anything more than static, but at the same time, the levels are strong enough to take down a full-grown Rhino." The genius princess's frustration seemed to slow the work of some of the surrounding scientists.

"So I should be dead right now, is what you're saying?" Bucky couldn't make sense of the changing numbers and graphs on the holograph screen.

"If it wasn't for my beautiful technology, you would be." That answer didn't reassure Bucky at all. He prayed for Shuri to dumb down the information a little for him. "Basically, you were hit by static, that is how your body felt it, but your arm says otherwise."

"I felt like I was shot at point blank." His deadpan tone made Shuri smirk.

"With this information, I can rerun Fern tests and compare the energy sources. Even if it is dormant, I should be able to find something." Shuri's confidence didn't help Bucky as much as he hoped it would. "Go, fetch your goddess. Tell her I want to ensure that she didn't have any strange effects from your arm, even if she didn't feel it. Just to be safe." She winked, feeding Bucky the lie he was to tell Fern.

"Do you think we should tell her what's been going on, even if the tests show nothing," Bucky looked to the ground and shifted his weight between his feet.

"There is no we in that. It is up to you when she is told, but she will become suspicious soon enough. If you aren't careful, you going behind her back might make her lose some trust in you." That's what Bucky is afraid of.