Chapter 10

At night, not difficult to understand who was where. A code blue here, a doorbell there. Sam knew that lullaby. Hawkins' pediatric ward wasn't very big. We could sometimes hear the crying of families, of children calling for their mothers. It hadn't been hard to find Eddie's room. The night was well underway and the police hadn't been at the door as Sam had expected. On second thought, Ted might have already testified alongside Wayne to the authorities.

"Room service..." Sam had whispered as she opened the door. Eddie blinked several times before rubbing his eyes, grimacing. His arms were fully bandaged, like the rest of his chest and a good part of his legs. "Sam...I saw my uncle tonight. He told me that he had seen you and that you were fine... Then he told me about the keys and I didn't understand everything... I feel like I'm stoned and of not being able to come back down..." A weak but constant stream of words. He looked more awake.

"Already started to drink a little water. OK? I will explain everything to you. She replied, pouring him a glass of water from the carafe on the cart next to his bed. Eddie sipped like a child. Sam glanced at her monitor and smirked before setting her empty cup back on the cart. He exhaled heavily and seemed even more awake. "Did I sleep long? The last thing I know is... We were together all along? And that you came back with the bats..."

Sam explained to him while taking his time. "Listen Eddie... Thanks to you Vecna was weakened enough for Elf to take care of him." Not only did you avenge Crissy, but you were super brave. Only, you can't tell all that to the cops. Eddie shook his head. Out of the question. As for Max's condition, they would both find out later. Just like the threat hanging over their heads. At the time, there had been nothing more important to Sam than getting Eddie to safety.

Impossible really to remember what had happened between the moment when she had compressed her wounds and the moment when they had finally seen the sirens of the paramedics. But now that they were off the hook, Eddie had to be cleared of all suspicion. "We were together the night Crissy was killed. We went to the movies, but we didn't have enough for two seats. So we just went and got two hot dogs and hung out. We then went home to have a coffee, the one my father makes you like too much. We fell asleep like chitterlings on the sofa in the living room in front of La Mouche. The next day we saw all the police cars in front of your house and you got scared. So we fled. It wasn't very smart, but you were afraid of being accused since you were dealing a little weed. It makes sense on the one hand. When we saw that Jason was chasing us with weapons, we were even more afraid. We wanted to ask our loved ones for help when the earthquake happened. We fell. »

A clear narrative, impossible to change. The keys to the caravan impossible to find. They were none of Eddie's business and he didn't know where they were. "Jason is dead. During the earthquake. That's all I know. We have nothing to be ashamed of. It's too late. Eddie widened his eyes and asked her to repeat several times. Gradually, he nodded and understood where she was coming from. After all, he had done nothing. "It's going to be okay Eddie. OK? Eddie smirked and winced in pain. "Yeah... Yeah okay." Sam I..." Before he could say anything, Sam pressed her lips to his, despite her split lip and the metallic taste in their mouths. "You're not alone Eddie. We can see the tape later. Right now you need to rest okay? »

To be continued...