004

dear   barb,
   i  know  i  wasn't  your  favorite  person,  that  title  would  go  to  nancy.  and  i  understand  why  you  didn't  like  me.  nothing  i  ever  did  to  you  was  out  of  the  kindness  of  my  heart.  no  attempt  to  hang  out  with  you  was  made  unless  it  would  have  made  nancy  like  me a  little  more.
   i  wasn't  the  person  you  wanted  for  your  best  friend  or  yourself  and  i  can't  blame  you.  but  i  like  to  think  i've  changed  from  the  person  you  knew  in  high  school.   your  death  was  a  wake up  call  to  me,  as  well  as  the  events  that  followed.   i  hope  that  if  you  were  still  alive,  you'd  like  this  version  of  me  a  little  bit  more  because  i  certainly  do. 
   i  wanted  to  say  sorry  for  everything  i  ever  did  you  hurt  you  during  the  months  we  'hung  out'.   it  wasn't  fair  to  hurt  you  because  it  made  me  feel  better  or  because  it  made  tommy  and  carol  laugh.   i'm  sorry  that  your  life  ended  in  the  pool  of  a  guy  who  didn't  care  about  you.  and  i'm  sorry  that  i  never  checked  up  on  you  that  night.  i  should  have  made  sure  you  found  the  bathroom  alright,  should  have  given  nancy  clean  clothes  and  let  you  two  leave  together.
   but  i  didn't.  and  i  realize  how  wrong  that  was.  and  i  hope  wherever  you  are,  you  can  forgive  me.  because  i  really  am  sorry.
love, 
steve  harrington