𝐗𝐈𝐈. happy birthday

─── chapter twelve.
❛ HAPPY BIRTHDAY ❜

KIL DEOK-JA WAS IN A FRENZY

KIL DEOK-JA WAS IN A FRENZY. never before had she felt nervous the way she felt now, her grip on jace's arm so tight that she was practically cutting off his blood flow.

"this one — no wait! oh, but this one is so cute... jace, what do you think?" the girl held up two pair of pajama pants in front of the big-eared boy's face.

she had managed to convince jace, the self proclaimed vasco expert, into going birthday present shopping at the last minute, only a day before the teen's birthday. even though the thought of kil deok-ja, their class's most vicious fighter, shopping like a normal person seemed odd to the big-eared teen, he ultimately agreed for the sake of her sanity.

jace sighed and pushed the clothing out of his face. "deok-ja, you already got him a lot of stuff. knowing vasco, he wouldn't care even if you gave him a napkin!"

"you're right." she gnawed on her fingernail in thought, before placing the dark blue pajama pants with paw print patterns in her shopping basket anyway. "i'll buy him this too and be over with it!"

with an irritated jace complaining by her side, she quickly paid for her final gift, and as compensation, gave him a newly bought pack of gum (she bought 4, so sharing wasn't all that bad).

"deok-ja." he said sternly when they finally reached their splitting point. "stop worrying, he'll love it. also, it's creepy seeing you like this."

she slapped him gently on the arm in response, scrunching up her face in annoyance.

"whatever. thanks for coming with me. see you tomorrow." deok-ja grinned up at the boy.

"see you." he waved as they walked in their separate directions, deok-ja's hands ridden with shopping bags.

hopefully, he'd like the gifts she picked out.

KNOWING VASCO, deok-ja should've been able to predict this sort of ludicrous idea. however, since it was his birthday, she had no choice to go along with it when he announced after their burn knuckles dinner that he was having a small party by the river.

well, it was a good thing deok-ja packed her multiple heated blanket and wore thick socks, otherwise she'd be murdering someone at the moment. that, and the additional warmth of an almost fully grown moose snuggled into her lap. she couldn't possibly show up to vasco's birthday party without moose, now could she?

she could almost hear deok-su's taunting voice as he sat warm and cozy at home. the bespectacled teen had once again refused to engage in any other social interaction after school hours, so he made deok-ja relay the message to vasco, who was quite upset.

"he looks so happy." mira smiled from underneath the comfort of deok-ja's borrowed blanket, completely ignoring the shivering zack beside her. she certainly had her own priorities.