chapter 8 • what was the point of flirting and waiting for her to like him back

Start from the beginning

"kids, calm down. do you know what this comemierda did?" penelope questioned.

"grew an awesome beard and modeled for t-shirts?" schneider asked.

"he was castros right hand man!" lydia said.

"he burned books, he banned music, he personally oversaw exocution squads! he was a mass murderer!" elena explained.

"it's as if you walked into taylor swifts home wearing a kanye shirt." alex said.

schneider pulled off the shirt, and stomped all over it. "i'm so sorry, guys!"

"it's okay, we know that sometimes you are a bobo and don't know what you're doing!" lydia said, and placed her hand on his chest.

cherry awkwardly looked down.

«───── « ʚɞ » ─────»

penelope walked through the front door.

"oh. finally you're home! i have great news." elena stood up.

"that reminds me, papito has great news!" lydia also stood.

"i do! in school, we have our nation project, and today we picked our counties. we chose alphabetically by last name. finally, makes me proud to help an alvarez." alex stood up.

"so not the brave military mom wounded in the line of duty?" penelope asked. "okay."

cherry looked over at elena.

"i'm listening to you." she reassured.

"thanks." elena nodded. "let me guess, you went for the easy a and picked america?"

"no. stupid travis aaron's got america. i chose cuba." alex said.

"no, papito, cuba chose you." lydia put her hand on his face.

"it'll be nice for you to do some research on where we're from." penelope said, filling her plate.

"eh, i'm probably just gonna film abuelita blabbing for a while. you know, her cuba, cuba, cuba, ay! azucar!" alex shrugged.

"you have captured my essence." lydia places a hand on her heart.

"i won't even have to write a paper! it's like no work."

"be less excited about that part. put some effort in." penelope encouraged.

"hey, why are you so hard on him?" lydia asked.

"are you kidding me? what happened to an a is an a, but a b is an f, and a c stands for china, because that's where you're going to live now."

"okay, that's true, but papito has such a pretty face to fall back on."

cherry mumbled something to herself.

"worst-case scenario, i'll just marry some rich lady. best-case scenario, i'll marry some rich lady named cherry." alex grinned.

cherry didn't even look at him.

he shrugged it off; it wasn't unusual.

he was used to it, by now. being ignored by her, while he desperately wished she'd look at him.

"that's my boy! my future daughter in law." lydia glanced over at the girl.

cherry tried not to gag; she loved lydia, just not alex.

"but alex isn't-" penelope began.

"sh!" lydia cut her off.

"remember me?" elena called out. "can i finally share my news?"