Starting a New Life Here

When we had both calmed down, I decided it was time for dinner, but with Aunt Jenna in the state she was in the kitchen, there was no way I'd get in to make anything. So pizza it was...

I rang up the pizza joint, and ordered everyone's favourite, in an attempt to happy them up again; Jeremy got meat feast, Elena got vegetarian, Jenna got tuna and sweetcorn, and I had chicken and bacon. The pizza would be here in half an hour, so I stood up slowly.

I kissed Jeremy's head one last time, before heading out of the room. Once outside, I lightly shut the door again, and stared across the landing.

There it was.

My room.

I cautiously made my way across the landing and to the door, wincing at the floorboard that creaked under my foot.

Standing in front of the door, I reached out to touch it. This one pointless-seeming object held so many memories. The number of times I must have slammed it shut for various reasons, I couldn't even count.

I remembered that, as a teenager, if anything went wrong, everybody in the house would no about it. I would come home, slam the front door, dump my bag on the floor, and ignore anyone who tried to talk to me, silently making my way up to my room. I used to slam it behind me and slide down it, onto the floor, knees up to my chin, and I would hug myself, trying to calm down. But that was Mom's area of expertise; soon enough she would slide down the door on the landing side and would talk to me through the door until I was ready to let her in. The conversations that went on through this door were probably the most meaningful I'd ever shared with anyone.

So when I opened the door carefully, it felt strange not to slam it behind me, but it nagged in the back of my brain that even if I did, Mom wouldn't be there to talk me through it this time... nor ever again for that matter.

I took a deep breath and walked inside my room. It was just the same as I'd left it all those years ago. I must've been gone seven years? Yeah, I would've been 18 when I left.

Dad always used to joke that he'd turn my room into a gym when I left, and I smiled at the thought, along with the idea that he hadn't, for whatever reason.

My queen size bed was perfectly made, with my favourite cream quilt cover in it, with the embroidered silver tree spiralling all the way up the bed.

I perched on the corner of my bed, and surveyed the room.

It was cold, uninhibited for years, yet the memories and the essence of the room remained.

I was kind of like a mixture of Elena and Jeremy. One half of my room had pictures and photographs collaged all over the wall, whereas the other held my drawings and paintings, carefully framed as they hung grandly on the wall.

The other wall was taken up by my huge window, beside which my wardrobe stood, while the other was bare, like I had left it. And it stood out because of that.

On my dresser, I saw a pad of paper... the good sort of paper- almost card like, but not... I used to love it.

That's when it dawned on me. I had a decision to make. On my way down here, I'd informer the Principle of the primary school I worked at that I wouldn't be in due to a family emergency, but now I had to make my final decision. Do I go back to Manhattan as soon as the funeral is over? Or do I stay here with my family and try to rebuild my life here in Mystic Falls.

In my heart, I knew what the answer was, so I wandered over to my dresser, and sat on the stool before it.

I stared at the paper, thinking of what to say... how to phrase the news... then I reached for my fountain pen beside the paper stack, and began...

Dear Kids,

I know that you guys are probably wondering where I am, and that's only natural. I'm sure you've been told about why I've been off lately, but I'm afraid I've got some sad news.

The 'family emergency' that I've been away for, is actually quite serious. Both my parents were involved in a car crash, and now they're up in heaven. I need to stay with my family right now, so that we can get through this together. So, I've come to the decision that I can't mess you guys around, letting you wonder if I'll ever come back, because I probably won't. Although I know you guys would be there for me, to help me through this tough time, the same cannot be said for my aunt, brother and sister. They need me, and I need them. So I'll be staying here for a while.

But I want you guys to promise me something. You kids are the loveliest class I have ever taught; you are the best behaved, and the most interested in the subject. So whoever your next teacher may be, I want you to channel that eagerness to learn, and that good behaviour that you showed me, and I want you to show that new teacher how brilliant a class you guys are.

It has truly been a pleasure teaching every one of you. I only wish it could have been for longer.

Cindy, Marcus, Adam, Lily, Danny, Tommy, Grace, Phoebe, Katie, Poppy, Lucas, and James; you guys are the best, and I hope you never forget that.

I'll never forget you guys.

Love always, Miss Gilbert.

A stray tear dropped onto the bottom of the page as I signed the note. I would truly miss those kids, but staying here with my family was a decision I had to make. Who know? A primary school job in History teaching might just pop up here in Mystic Falls.

Now wouldn't that be something to help me get back on my feet.

I smiled at that thought, but was cut short by the pizza guy delivering dinner, so I scurried downstairs to pay him.