"I have to stay a little later today and head straight to my women's group from there. So I won't be home until late tonight." She set the pot back into place and screwed the lid on.

Miguel was the first to respond, holding his piece of toast in his left hand. "But what about Winn-Dixie, Tia?" he said in a worried whine. For the last few nights, Kayla had been reading the children's book to him at bedtime, a chapter a night. The book a favorite from her own childhood she had forgotten about until recently finding it at the library.

"I told you about this last night, bud," Kayla reminded him. "Remember? I said I'd read two chapters tomorrow night to make up for it."

Miguel frowned at the reminder. "Oh, yeah." The kid usually preferred not to remember bad news even when he did. He stared down at his plate, close to tears.

Kayla came over to wrap a hand around his head to hold a kiss to the side. "I'm sorry, bud." She then ran a hand along his short dark hair before offering if he wanted to ride with her to school this morning and they could stop at the Starbucks to split a pastry.

Miguel looked up to push out a half smile and softly murmured an "okay."

Kayla returned it with a warm smile of her own.

Ben came over to pass Kayla a plate, along with a kiss good morning, causing Miguel to go, "ewww, gross."

He chuckled at the kid's reaction. "You'll change your mind someday when you meet that special someone," he said, heading back to finish packing lunches.

"I don't think so," Miguel said, shaking his head.

Ben only smirked, letting it end. The kid had barely started school for the first time. He still had plenty of time and didn't need to be thinking about romantic love, anyway. Instead, Ben turned his attention to call up the stairs to give the girls their reminder they would be late for school if they stayed up there any longer.

"Oh, don't get your panties in a knot!" Claudia called back, causing him to sigh under his breath.

Claudia was a bright girl, with a feisty attitude that can test a person's patience. She tested boundaries whenever possible, but was willing to help when needed, especially when it came to the younger kiddos.

Ben and Kayla never took in babies or toddlers, only school-aged, including Pre-K. It was easier to manage with their schedules. Plus, Kayla didn't feel equipped enough to mother the very young ones, despite forming a special bond with Miguel. Usually she felt more prepared with the teenagers, including the preteens, while Ben strived best with the kiddos, Miguel's age and up. He usually let Kayla take the lead with the girls while taking the lead with the boys, especially the ones who had an interest in sports, cars, and video games, areas he enjoyed as hobbies.

However, even though he got along great with the boys and shared a lot of the same interests, it was Ben who mostly took care of the house stuff, including cooking. Kayla pitched in when she was home and the kids had chores to help out as well. Ben was the stay-at-home parent. It was also his idea to become foster parents. In fact, it had been a dream since he was a kid and had lost his best friend at the hands of the ones who were supposed to be taking care of him. So, Ben vowed he would help other kids in memory of George. Both he and Kayla could have their own kids if they wanted to, but felt there were already ones out there that could use the love and support they needed and should have.

Ben and Kayla were aware of the challenges that they'd face going into it, so when Claudia came, they weren't as blindsided as some couples might be. But neither ever backed away from a challenge. Ben, especially, did not know the meaning of the word, quit. Unfortunately, that was also a weakness of his, and sometimes bit him on the butt. He did not want to give up on a kid.