Part 1

Neteyam opened his eyes slowly, hearing his mother picking things up around the marui. Even without being able to see her, he could sense her stress. Her pace was uneven and her breathing came out in snorts from time to time. In the distance, he could hear Tuk talking to his father. As usual, she was the one talking and he just listened. He closed his eyes slowly again, wanting to linger in this moment of peace a little longer. He knew that when they realized he was awake, the questions and concerns would start. Of course, he wasn't complaining about being cared for and loved, but his father had taught him to be strong, quick and smart. He didn't know what to do with his new role as a wounded soldier. As if it realized it, his chest began to burn with pain. Since he had felt the bullet go through him, the pain had never quite stopped. Even when Ronal had applied a strong-smelling ointment, which he had later learned prevented the wound from becoming infected, the pain had always been there.

- I know you're awake, I can hear you thinking from here. - whispered my mother without coming closer. He just smiled softly and opened his eyes, directing his gaze to where he had heard her voice.

- I'm fine, just relaxed. - i replied without getting up.

- I have to call Ronal to check your wounds, but I can give you a few more minutes of meditation. How is the pain? - This time she did come closer and I could see her frown. Her face hadn't changed since the attack. Always with a worried grimace.

- It hurts, but I can take it. - I replied, braced myself with her help. She clicked her tongue, which knowing her was much less than she wanted to do. Her anger had diminished over the days, but I could still remember her expression when she saw me lying on the ground bleeding. Even Kiri had told me days later that she had never seen her that angry. The humans on the boat didn't stand a chance, I knew Dad would never tell me, but a part of me would have loved to see her at that moment. There was something magical about her, almost beyond words, as if Eywa was communicating through her.

- I'll be right back with Ronal, don't move. - she said this last more like a threat, accompanied by a stern look. I wouldn't tell her, but it was unlikely that I could move at all. I felt as if my whole body was exhausted. Despite having just gotten up I was already sleepy again. I lay down carefully and looked up at the roof of the marui without thinking about much else. Either time passed too quickly or the sound of the sea was too soothing, but the next thing I knew, my mother was back and waking me up. I didn't even remember falling asleep.

- I'll change your bandage and let you sleep again. - Ronal said next to her. I smiled a little at her still half asleep. - I found this syrup for the pain, I know you haven't complained about it, but it's also brave to know when to ask for help. - Like everything else Ronal said, it sounded like she was scolding you when he was actually helping you.

- Thank you. - I said in a hoarse voice. - Sometimes it hurts more than others, but in general it's bearable. It doesn't affect my sleep as you can see. - I ended up taking the bottle with the syrup anyway. Another larger hand rested on my shoulder blade and helped me sit up. I hadn't realized that Aonung had come with them. He just nodded his head.

- I can't touch the ointment I have to put on you now, it could hurt the baby. That is why I have asked my son for help. - I explains in a firm tone. It seemed like I was talking more to him than to me. - Likewise, your mother or your siblings can learn to do it. They are hunting now so I have told your mother that we would take care of it. - After explaining to me Ronal continued to explain to his son how to properly mix the herbs. His voice was low and sweet, it made my eyelids heavy again. I hadn't noticed when my mother had left the marui, but I heard her come back in and pick up some baskets. It was where we placed the fish before doing the ritual and feeding them to the village so I assumed the others had a good hunt.