Prolog

Working in the medical field is probably one if not the toughest job decision you could choose.
The joy of helping people in dire times, when sickness rages in their body, to recover is often overshadowed by the cases you weren't able to save.

Death is a constant.
It simply isn't talked about.
You get to know the pain of losing a patient, it always hurts even if you try not to get too attached.

That is kind of a golden rule. Not getting attached. Never invest more than you give all the others because then you're compromised to make the right decisions.
It all wages against each other: the sickness, the gain of trying to save the patient, the age of the patient, the negative answer to the ethical question of doing or not doing anything because there isn't much that could be done in the first place. A lost cause that mustn't know about the lack of actually working treatment.

In a practice where you get to see the patients for just a few hours it's easy to follow the rules but working in a hospital or in other medical facilities where it becomes a daily basis – because they're your patients – then it gets harder and harder with every day.
You don't have to be a doctor for this – they don't see their patients very often, no, it's the nurses that learn about every cases dreams and hopes.
They listen to family stories and dramas.
They can see the helplessness and try to make everything a little bit better just by taking the time to help.
A nurse hopes and prays with the patient. And feels dread when they lose the fight.

In rare cases there might be a new study taking place were you work. Treatment studies for new medications to cure terminal illnesses.
It is crucial to discover something new to lessen the impact of something terminal but it's devastating because you know there will be certain death. If not from some unexpected side effects then certainly from the placebo some of the people get. They don't get the benefits of success.

One has to be mentally stable to shoulder all the emotions and the pain. It's not a weakness to cry but you have to stay strong for them. They need you as an anchor so that they can fight for their life.

~

This is what Branzy had to learn on his very first day and it never got easier with the following years.