Autumn

As autumn fell upon the school, the tone shifted from what it had been. The nights crept in sooner, shrouding the school in a dark veil at six in the evening. It was comforting for Y/n. Autumn was always her favorite season. She would go to the temples during this time, using the changing leaves and crisp weather to reflect her year to that point. Her prayers were always full of hope, wishes to finish out the year well, as well as for the people around her to be happy.

Tsuchigomori never attended with her.

      At this time, she stood in the hall, facing the window, again watching the sun set over the changing trees. She felt a comfort in being alone during this season of change. She sighed, watching the sun dip behind the horizon. Y/n felt alone. Usually this wasn't a problem, though at that exact moment, she felt the cool air of the school, or the feeling of being isolated in a way that wasn't on her own terms. She hugged herself, sinking into herself as she reflected on Tsuchigomori.

     Y/n's heart felt almost bitter at the thought of the man. No flowers rose up her throat, though she braced for the feeling anyways. Her eyes wandered to where the man would usually walk on his rounds, instead, seeing Yashiro. The glare Y/n had prepped washed away as swiftly as it had formed. A small smile made its way onto her face, looking at the student.

"My apologies, Yashiro, that wasn't meant for you. My mind was elsewhere for a moment." She turned to face Yashiro fully. The student smiled back, nodding slightly.

"No, I understand. I have been known to do the same thing in my class... though usually I'm glaring at Hanako." She shrugged, joining the nurse at the window. "Were you thinking about Mr. Tsuchigomori?"

Y/n's face deadpanned. "Wow this kid is blunt."

"Yes, I was. Not so much Tsuchigomori himself, but some memories that I associate him with. Autumn has a habit of doing that to me." Y/n explained to Yashiro, hesitating before she continued, "I would always visit the temple at this time, and even before I saw him in a romantic way, I would wish for him to have a good ending to his year. Even after he and I were married, he would never attend with me."

     The explanation caused silence to fall over the room, Yashiro didn't know how to comfort the spirit, who didn't seem all that over the man who broke her heart.

"I just don't know if I can forgive him. I'm trying, truly, but I just don't know if I can."

     Yashiro nodded, watching as Hanako wandered over to the women, looking between the two. He knew it was best to keep the elder woman in the dark about any findings concerning the rumors. The three stood together in silence, a comfortable silence, yes, but still enough for it a bit tense. Any existing tension of the room rose when another specter entered the space. 

     Y/n turned to leave, but was grabbed by Hanako. She sighed, refusing to look in his direction. It was high time he was treated as he had her. Y/n crossed her arms over her chest, looking out at the darkness. The twilight had just faded, the streetlights had just come to life. Y/n looked to Yashiro, looking at her, "Do you need to head home?" The student nodded, turning to leave, Hanako trailing behind her, leaving the old couple alone.

Y/n looked up at him. He looked down at her.

When their eyes met, it was like it was before, one's eyes were full of hope. The other's eyes were cold, and uninterested. 

Oh how their tables have turned. 

(639 words)

~I know I said I would make longer chapters, but I'm yet again in the height of musical season and getting ready to go to college, but I might as well try and break the hiatus by giving you all a morsel of an update. Thank you so much for the feedback and kind comments! Every time I see a new comment, I read it and just feel the love from y'all! Have a good [insert time of day]!!~