024. Happiness is a Butterfly

Start from the beginning

"Very well. Don't miss me too much." Persephone called out to her sister as she started walking away with Naomi.

Once the girls were far from Athena hearing anything, Naomi decided to speak up. "So, how's your investigation?"

"So far, I have nothing but I decided to add Arabella into my investigation. Whatever she sees or hears, I want her to tell me everything." Persephone wasn't upset about not finding anything as of yet. She knew these things took time and patience. Someone was bound to slip up.

"You guys are playing a dangerous game, especially Arabella. What if Daniel finds out what she's doing? No doubt he'll fire both Arabella and Margaret." Naomi didn't want to think negatively but they couldn't rule that out. There was a possibility that Daniel would find out and the only people that would be negatively impacted would be the Clarke's.

"I know. I know. I don't want them to run the risk but I have no choice. With the social season, I've become quite busy." If it wasn't a ball, it was getting fittings for dresses. If it wasn't one thing, it was another. Persephone had too many things going on and she knew she wouldn't have time to investigate herself. "And it's not like she's doing this for free. I want to reward her and her grandmother for all the hard work they have done for me."

During her toughest times, Margaret was always there to guide her and lead her to the right direction. Margaret quickly became a motherly role for the young girl and even if she doesn't know it, she made a huge impact in Persephone's life after her mother's death. Arabella was the icing of the cake. She was a friend and a sister. Someone who she trusted with all her heart.

"And what are you going to give them?" Naomi was curious. What would Persephone gift them?

Persephone shrugged. "As of now, I have a few ideas in mind but in due time you'll know."

"Enough talk about the investigation. Have you spoken to James or Robert?"

Persephone rolled her eyes at the mention of Robert Arrington. "I haven't spoken to James but I'm sure I'll see him here soon enough. As for Robert, I haven't seen him in a while."

Persephone hasn't seen Robert since the Vauxhall celebration and she didn't know whether to be relieved or concerned. She didn't know what to expect from the man. But deep down, she felt like she'll see his arrival soon.

"Honestly, he needs to leave you alone so you can spend your time with the Duke."

"I wish that as well but I'm out of luck. Knowing him, I could be married and he'll still be pursuing me." Persephone chuckled, shaking her head. Let's hope not, she thought.

"Well, let's hope not. That would be dreadful."

Persephone nodded in agreement. "Anyways, what's up with you and your love life?"

It was Naomi's turn to sigh. "I have taken things into consideration. You girls are right. I can't live like my parents or settle for less so I dropped my candidates until further notice."

Naomi didn't want to lead the guys on. Believing that something was going to come out of it. Naomi had to break the cycle. The generational curse. She could no longer settle for someone who she didn't want. Yes, she wanted to strive for someone with status but she also wanted someone because she loved them. If she were to have children, she wanted them to feel loved and want to have a marriage like their parents. Naomi wanted things to be different. She was striving for different.

Persephone eyes widen. "And when did this happen?"

"One of the guys had proposed to me and that was when I realized I couldn't do it. I couldn't lead them on." Naomi explained, retelling the events that took place just a couple days ago. "My mother was furious but my father understood, surprisingly enough."