[5] The Elevator

"We're going down! We're doing down!" Steve screams still holding onto me tight.
"Yeah, no shit, Harrington!" I scream.
The elevator stops firmly on the ground and we all fall over when a box falls down on Steve and me.
"Ow, my groin. It fell on my groin." Steve winces.
"Dustin get this off of me! I can't breathe!" I shout as the box on my chest slows down my breathing. Steve gets up and carries the box off of me and helps me up.
"Is everyone okay?" Robin groans.
"Yeah, I'm great now that I know that Russians can't design elevators!" Steve screams.
"I think we clearly established that those buttons down work!" Robin says as Steve keeps pressing the buttons.
"They're buttons. They have to do something!" Steve shouts.
"Yeah, if we had a keycard!" Robin says.
"A what?" Steve asks.
"It's an electronic lock. Same as the loading dock door. If we don't have a key card, it won't operate meaning we're stuck in here." I explain.
"Just so you nerds are aware, I'm supposed to be spending the night and Tina's, and Tina always covers for me. But if I'm not home for Uncle Jacks party tomorrow and my mom finds out you 4 are responsible, she's gonna hunt you down, one by one, and slit your throat." Erica says and I roll my eyes.
"I don't care about Tina! Or Uncle Jacks party! Your moms not gonna be able to find us if we're dead in a Russian elevator!" Steve yells.
"Hey." Dustin says pointing to the ceiling, "what if we climbed out?"
Me, Steve and Dustin climb out to the roof of the elevator and look up. There's no way we can climb that.
"What we're you saying about climbing?" Steve asks with his voice echoing.

"Does anyone copy? This is a code red, I repeat, a code red." Dustin says in the walkie and keeps repeating.
"Hey, you gotta take it easy on that thing. Gonna drain the battery." Steve says.
"The mall just opened." Dustin says.
"So?"
"So someone could be in range!" Dustin says.
"What do you think, Petey the Mall Cop is gonna rappel down here and save the day?" Steve asks.
"You're both idiots." I say and go down with Robin and Erica.

with Dustin and Steve

"All right, why are you such a cranky pants after getting to spend the night with Lizzy?" Dustin asks Steve.
"Shhh! Jesus Christ. Will you give up on your creepy dream already." Steve whispers to make sure Lizzy doesn't hear.
"I heard you guys talking all night." Dustin says raising both his eyebrows at Steve.
"We were trying to figure out a way to open the door while you children were sleeping. After eight hours, we're still exactly nowhere, which is, you know probably why I'm just a tad cranky." Steve whisper-shouts and unzips his pants to pee.
"What are you doing?" Dustin asks him.
"What does it look like I'm doing? I'm taking a leak. Look away!" Steve yells.

Lizzys pov

I look up and see that one of them is peeing. Gross.
"Can you redirect your stream, please?" I ask. And it goes somewhere else.
"Ugh." Robin says making a disgusted face.
I look over at the clanking and see that Erica is hitting the green liquid against a metal barrel.
"Hey! Stop it!" I shout and take it off her.
"It could be useful." Erica says.
"Useful how?" I ask.
"We can survive down here a long time without food, but if the human body doesn't get water, it will die." Erica says.
"This is not water." I say.
"No, but it's a liquid, and if it comes down to me drinking that shit or dying of thirst, I drink." Erica says and grins at me. I scoff then start to hear distant electronic whirring.
"What is that?" I ask Robin and she shrugs.
"Guys! Get down here!" I yell and we all run up to the roof as we hear Russians come in. After we hear them leave we jump down quickly and we use the green liquid to stop the elevator door from closing. We all slide through and it cracks and makes the floor sizzle.
"Still wanna drink that?" I ask Erica and she scoffs.
"Holy mother of God." Dustin says staring down the long hallway.
"Well... hope you guys are in good shape. Looking at you, roast beef." Steve says patting Dustins belly.
We start walking down the long hallways.

"I mean, you have to admit, as a dear of engineering alone, this is impressive." Dustin says.
"What are you talking about? It's a total fire hazard. There's no stairs, there's no exit, there's just an elevator that drops you halfway to hell." Steve says.
"They're commies. You don't pay people, they cut corners." Erica says.
"To be fair to our Russian comrades, I don't think this tunnel was designed for walking." Robin says.
"Yeah, I mean, think about it. They developed the perfect system for transporting that cargo." I say.
"It all comes into the mall like any old delivery." Dustin says.
"And then they load it up onto those trucks and nobody's the wiser." Robin says.
"You think they built this whole mall so they could transport that green poison?" Steve asks.
"I don't think it's just poison. It's got to be much bigger. Like maybe promethium or something." I say.
"What the hell is promethium?" Steve asks.
"It's what Victor Stone's dad used to make Cyborg's bionic and cybernetic components." I explain.
"You're all so nerdy, it makes me physically ill." Erica groans pretending to gag.
"No, no, no, don't lump me in with them. I'm not a nerd, all right?" Steve says.
"Well done Steve, you got the approval of a ten year old child." I say.
"I'm just saying I don't know jack shit about prometheus." Steve says.
"Promethium. Prometheus is a Greek mythological figure, but whatever. All I'm saying is, it's probably being used to make something." Dustin corrects.
"Or power something?" I suggest.
"Like a nuclear weapon?" Dustin asks.
"Totally." I say.
"Walking towards a nuclear weapon. That's great. That'd be great." Steve says sarcastically.
"But if they're building something, why here? I mean, Hawkins. Seriously. Of all places. At the very best, we're a toilet stop on your way to Disneyland..." Robin says when me, Dustin and Steve stop.
"You think the Russians know?" I whisper.
"About the-"
"They could." Dustin says.
"So it's connected?" Steve asks.
"Maybe." Dustin says.
"How?" I ask.
"I don't know but it's..." Dustin says.
"Possible." We all say in unison.

"I'm sorry, is there something you'd like to share with the class?" Robin asks and we look at each other when we here Russian on Dustin's walkie.

Erica opens her bag and gets out the walkie and hands it to Robin.
"It's the code." Robin says.
"Wherever that broadcast is coming from-" Dustin begins.
"It's close." I finish.
"And if there's one thing we know about that signal..." Robin says.
"It can reach the surface." Dustin says.
"Let's go." Robin says and we all start walking.

We start getting into a busy place so we hide behind boxes hoping not to get caught.

"Okay, clear." Steve whispers and we carry on walking.
"Okay, that was so close." Robin says.
"Too close." Dustin says.
"Relax. Alright. Nobody saw..." he says and trails off and looks at this massive hub thing.
"Holy shit." I mutter.
We hide behind a box quickly.
"I saw it. First floor, northwest." Erica says.
"Saw what?" I ask.
"The comms room." Erica says.
"You saw the comms room?" Steve asks.
"Correct." Erica says.
"Are you sure?" Steve asks.
"Positive. The door was open for a second. I saw a bunch of lights and machines and shit in there." Erica says.
"That could literally be hundred different things." I say.
"I'll take those odds." Robin says.
We look out and manage to sneak inside the room Erica was talking about. Steve closes the door then turns around and sees a Russian soldier. We stare at each for a few seconds when Robin starts speaking Russian to him.
He reaches for his gun and I look at Steve then he charges at him. He picks up a microphone and hits him knocking him out.
"Dude! You did it! You won a fight!" Dustin shouts smiling at him.
They both chuckle and Dustin goes and grabs his keycard.
"What are you doing?" Erica asks.
"Getting us our ticket out of here." Dustin says.
"You want to walk all the way back?" Erica asks.
"Well, we can hang out for a little bit, relax, have a picnic maybe." Dustin says sarcastically.
"Have a picnic? We came here for the radio!" Erica shouts.
"Well this plan is way better. If I knew Steve could knock out a Russian, that would've been our plan in the first place." Dustin says.
"Guys! There's something up here!" Robin yells and we go up and through a door.
Me and Dustin look through the window and see the gate. They're opening it. Me and Dustin look at each other.
"Holy shit." Dustin says.