eight

The weather was dim, with hints of sunlight appearing here and there before being engulfed in clouds

The days between the competitions were mundanely filled with studying and working. It would be as if the games weren't going on only if it wasn't for the various pins people wore and the slight disdain for the champions the students weren't rooting for. Most people are rooting for Mason, with little rooting for Regulus, which was no surprise. No one likes rooting for the underdog when the underdog doesn't deserve to win. At least, that's what Regulus told himself to get through the day.

He was currently in Potions class, doodling in his notebook sketches of people outside the window on his right while Pandora hummed to herself, watching the various things he drew. He had gotten used to using a pencil as opposed to everyone else, who still attempted to dip the writing tool in a nonexistent ink holder whenever the pencil's tip became dull.

He doodled people sitting in the grass studying, students walking past for just a brief moment, or even an occasional couple showing public displays of affection. To his surprise, he spotted Callista walking out of the castle and finding a seat in a crevice of a tree trunk, pulling out a notebook, cassette tape, and headphones.

He hasn't even realized he was sketching her until Pandora said,

"Beautiful sketch of your girlfriend, there, Reg."

He looked up and placed his arm over the notebook, cheeks flaring red. "She's not my girlfriend."

"Keep telling yourself that, mate."

Class ended just as he finished the sketch of Callista. He began collecting his things as Professor Roy stood in front of him.

"Can you tell me a single thing we learned today, Mr. Black?" she asked, crossing her arms.

"I— uh," he stuttered, laughing nervously as Pandora watched from the door. "Something related to potions, right?"

She sighed. "Champions aren't excused from their casual duties. I could fail you for this, Regulus."

"Please, wait, I'm sorry," he spoke. "I'll pay more attention."

"I know it's hard to focus during these times, but if Mason and Valentina can—"

"Then I should be able to do it too, okay? I'll do good starting now," he finished, tapping his finger buds together behind his back.

Roy sighed. "Alright, I'll allow you to "slack" off in class occasionally if you do this one thing," she offered.

Regulus's head perked up. "Anything."

"My potions closet is a mess after the weeks are over. If you can clean it once classes are done, I'll ignore your lack of focus in my class. Fair?"

"Fair," he nodded, collecting his things.

"The door will be propped open with a rock but don't lock the door cause it locks." When she had nothing more to add, Roy waved him out of her classroom, which he did quickly.