Chapter 26: Negotiation

Start from the beginning

"You really think Luke will go for that?"

"Not without something in return, of course. I'm going to tell him that if he doesn't, I'll call on the rebels."

"Wait," Talon stepped in. "If he makes the mutts you're not going to let the rebels attack?"

I shook my head.

"That defeats the purpose."

"No, it doesn't," I replied. "It gets Ivan and Ni out alive. That's our priority. After that, we'll worry about getting Panem back to normal. But when we do, it won't be under my leadership or my rebels. I would rather live under this dictatorship than see those kids die. "

"If we stay under the dictatorship, many will die."

"Talon, please. I need you on the same page. If we don't intervene, then who knows who will win? The move is justified. They can be our new leaders. They can lead the rebellion. Luke will get overthrown. I promise you. We're just going to delay a bit, that's all."

Talon nodded. "Okay. How are the forces?"

"Great. We found footage of Luke sabotaging those District 11 supply trains. Thousands have seen it. We have anger everywhere, " I replied.

Cane shook his head to himself. "I can't believe that nickname stuck. Chris."

I ignored his comment. "Luke is expecting me soon. He's requesting that I tell him how to lift up the forcefield. I want all of you to come with for the negotiations."

"Luke will kill us," Drea said. "We're in hiding for a reason."

"I need him to see that he can't control us. You are great symbols for that. Plus, if things get ugly, I will need support." I took a step towards them. "Please. I need you as part of this effort."

Talon nodded, then looked to Cane and Drea. They nodded too.

I smirked. "Let's get on our way."

***

A group of Peacekeepers in black uniforms led us through the building, up to room full of Gamemakers. One opened the door, revealing the large room. Luke stood in the center of the computers, watching action display on the big screen. Chris and Ni were on the screen, discussing Ivan's disappearance. I smirked.

"Sir, Raven is here. And she's brought some...Friends."

Luke turned his head. He smiled coldly once we made eye contact.

"Raven. I didn't expect the entourage."

"I thought it would've been boring if I didn't bring your escaped prisoners. They did have a hand in the Ivan situation, after all."

Luke's smile fell, and he clenched his jaw. "Everyone, leave. Only the scum stay."

The Gamemakers rose from their seats and filed out of the room. The Peacekeepers closed the door as soon as all left, leaving only the five of us in the room.

"Loving the hair, Cane," Luke remarked.

"Thanks, Luke. Turns out bleach and blue hair dye doesn't kill any brain cells, so I think I may keep it."

Drea laughed.

"So you're the mind behind the red pill. Impressive. Now take it off," Luke ordered.

"We're not here for that," I replied. "We're here for their lives."

Luke laughed. "Raven, do not play games with me. You will not win."