Chapter One

"Would you like to go for some coffee sometime?"

When I had imagined meeting the person I'd spend the rest of my life with; I always had this romantic notion that it'd be just like in the movies. We'd clumsily run into each other at a restaurant, he'd pore his drink on my clothes and apologetically try to make it up to me. Maybe even at a bar, where he would sit beside me, trying to act cool and deliver a lame pick up line, that I'd laugh at but give him my attention.

Albeit, it's probably naïve of me to think love worked that way, but granted my little experience with love; I knew I had to be somewhere in the right ball park.

I have always been more of a career motivated person anyways; I gave up on relationships back in High school, before I started my four years in college. Now, at the age of twenty-two, I'm ready to take on the world and its many challenges.

So, you can imagine my surprise when I got on an elevator to go to my first big interview, and was asked out to coffee, by someone I hadn't even spoken more than few words to.

It didn't help that he was cleaned up real nice and not too hard to look at either.

When I had first gotten on the elevator, my heart hammering with nerves as anyone's would be; I immediately took notice of his crisp clean suit and shave.

His hair is dark, his facial hair trimmed but not bald. He looked to be young, but not as young as I am, maybe a few years older. His eyes caught my attention immediately; a pale green that caught mine in its gaze as soon as I stepped on.

Wonder where he works...

This place is so big and there are so many different departments; maybe I'll be lucky and we'll end up in the same department.

I shifted the binder in my arms, that carried my resume and other documents I included over the years, to push the glowing button for my floor. I noticed that he didn't move to choose a floor, so I can only assume were going to the twelfth floor together.

Guess this is going to be a long ride with Mr. Green Eyes who stood behind me, keeping his presence scarce.   

I shrugged to move my cheap purse further up on my shoulder, hoping the chain wouldn't catch in my side braid again; the curse of long thick hair I suppose. Considering how my arms are busy holding up my heavy binder, I couldn't spare an arm to push the purse chain up and must have looked like an idiot.

I blushed; please let this stupid elevator ride be over soon.

Suddenly, I felt a hesitant hand rest lightly on my arm.

"Would you like a hand with that? You seem like you're having a hard time..."

Even his voice is strangely as beautiful as he looks.

"Oh! Yes, please. Thank you." I stumbled over my thanks.

I didn't bother turning around to look at him, to even see his expression, but as he lifted my purse higher on my shoulder, I couldn't help but notice how his hand lingered just a second longer than probably necessary.

I'm putting way too much thought into this...

I looked up at the level we were on and almost breathed a sigh of relief. Almost there...

But just as the doors began to open, to lead me to freedom from this confined metal box of embarrassment; did his hand stop me in my tracks.

I turned, ready to shoot questions at him for grabbing me; but stopped when I saw the panicked expression on his handsome face.