the hate wins (wattpad edition)

(allllright so basically this is that one scene in the first game where ryder goes to save katrina except ive sort of rewritten it because i... dont really get how lucas was so calm about it??? like, ryders his last living relative and hes going off to save his kidnapper because ryders got blue balls or some shit. so i decided to essentially create an au i guess where lucas reacts differently. warnings for suicidal thoughts bc lucas is a little silly sometimes)

"...She's still alive. I'm going after her."

That one sentence made Lucas's skin crawl and his stomach churn. No, no no no that's insane, that's a death wish, surely his uncle was joking, right? But when Lucas turned his frightful eyes from the Doctor ahead of him back to Ryder, he saw not even the slightest hint of humour in his expression. Only that stupid, sickly sweet determination that Lucas had learned to recognize very well.

...He was actually going to try and save her.

He - he was going to go back into the active - no, erupting volcano to save some random lady he'd met a week ago! The same lady that had kidnapped Lucas twice, was unknowingly trying to bring the end of the world and had just tried to kill the only friend Lucas had ever had. And all for some stupid, stupid, stupid oversized relics that everyone was about to die for because some asshole with too much money wants them so badly.

Lucas felt his cheeks flare up in anger as he remembered just how much he'd gone through, how much Katrina had put him through, only for Ryder to again play the hero and go off and save someone who didn't need saving. Didn't he care about him?! Surely he wasn't as dumb as he was presenting himself as right now, could see that not only would the both of them die but that Katrina wasn't even worth saving anyway.

The Doctor only let out a soft sigh. "Ryder, we can't wait for you."

His breaths began to come in short pants as he clutched onto the rope like his life depended on it, trying his best to fight off the incoming panic attack. Eyes wide from panic, he turned his head towards Knack, who had apparently been looking at him the entire time. Lucas wanted so badly to scream, to tell Knack to not let him go, to save his uncle from his own saviour complex, but it was like his voice had been ripped out of him. He couldn't make even the smallest noise. The closest thing he could do was give Knack the most pleading stare he'd ever given anybody, as he gestured his whole body in the direction Ryder was in. Knack just looked back and forth from Lucas to Ryder, seemingly unable to form words, too.

"Then go!"

Lucas finally managed to push through the iron barrier in his throat and whisper something only he and Knack could hear. "Please."

The ropes slid across the rock they were standing on.

Satisfied with Ryder's answer, The Doctor took hold of his rope and started climbing it, while Ryder turned away to try and maneuver over to where Katrina was lying lifelessly. Knack did the same, and so did Lucas, although he couldn't stop the sob that had made his way from his chest.

With each hand he put on the rope, the higher he got, the more he felt like letting go and falling into the magma. He was going to lose his uncle, the last family member he had left, because his uncle was an idiot who just had to save everybody even if they were terrible and deserved to be burned alive, and then he'd truly be some poor lonely little orphan who should just fucking let go and fall and die, just let go, why are you even still alive -

His thoughts were interrupted by the sound of relics moving and a cry. Looking down, he could see Ryder hanging upside down, Knack's arm outstretched and gripping his leg. Looking back up at Knack, he couldn't help but shakily grin back at him through tears, pure ecstasy squirming under his skin, at him finally winning at something, at finally having at least some power in the form of his best friend.

"Don't let go."