Chapter 8: Meddle About

Start from the beginning

"Although you came through here quite boldly, your brashness is pretty interesting so I want to play your game for a bit... After all, you did claim you had some conflict with Haitani Rindo and yet... you're still here with all the confidence in the world," the tall, burly man noted and sat back down on the window sill, "How do I know you actually met Haitani Rindo without any injuries or hesitation to show? I doubt anyone who met him would still be so brave."

"Actually, captain..." one of the boys from her school hesitantly brought up and he visibly cowered when the leader glanced his way, "I recognize her from my school. I remember now— her name has been spread like wildfire a month ago. She's the new kid who ordered Haitani Rindo around and managed to fight back. It was (y/...)"

"(Y/n) (l/n)," the calmly composed female finished for him with a smile gracing her face as she mockingly bowed her head, "Pleasure to meet your acquaintance."

At that, there was a momentary pause before Ryota full-blown laughed his heart out at the audacity of this chick. Despite her tone being sarcastic and taunting, if anything, it was pretty fucking hilarious that this random high school girl stood up against the Haitani's and survived.

"Alright, I believe you now, girly," he said after calming down a bit and (y/n) was glad that this persona was able to last as long as it did, "Now what was your question again? Do I know who're after the Haitani's?"

"Yes."

"I know for certain it's not me nor my gang," he commented and rested his arms on his knees, "But I think I might know who you want to talk to. You see, as for the moment we're in a joint agreement with another gang until we obtain more members. They're called Shibuya Shadow gang."

"Shibuya Shadow..." (y/n) spoke more towards herself in contemplation, "Why do you think it's them? Where are they located? Do you think I'll be able to talk to their captain?"

"Woah, slow your roll, sweetheart," he smirked and she frowned in response, "Are you that antsy to defeat the Haitani brothers already?"

The (h/c)-haired girl pursed her lips, "Something like that..."

"Well, I don't know if it's anything much but I remember hearing Haitani's name being thrown around when I first made the agreement with them," Ryota leaned back so his back was touching the side wall of the window, "Their captain is a guy named Ogawa Niki— a pretty frail looking guy if you ask me. As for their location... much like their name, their location is unknown like the shadows. I only met the captain when he came to us for an equal protection offer."

"I see..." the young girl held her chin and thought of her new strategy against another gang, "Thanks, I appreciate your willingness to talk—"

As (y/n) turned around to walk away after giving her thanks, she didn't even notice Ryota standing up and abruptly grabbing her right arm. The remaining courage she had left in her instantly vanished and her body shook in terror in his hold, however, she didn't dare to look back.

"Hah... Is there a problem?" She kept her vision down and her voice still kept its volume, but it was noticeably weaker.

"Yes there is," the man's voice was no longer amused but rather gruff and menacing, "D'you really think you're able to just walk out after I gave you such important information regarding our fellow gang? You really are naive when it comes to gangsters even if you did stand up against the Haitani's."

"What..." she gulped and tried to not make her words falter, "What do you want?"

"It's simple. We're still a small gang and we don't have a lot of people... I want money— 10,000 yen, to be exact— which is not a lot if you think about it," he shrugged and slightly strengthen his grip on her arm, "I want this money within a week or... you can pay us back in other ways."