3. a bat, a wolf, and a cat

Start from the beginning

Lilith pulls her sketchbook from her bag and begins working quietly on the prompt written on the front board. She's deep in her head when she feels something gently land on her left shoulder. Confused, she glances up to find a dove perched there, looking as if it had flown from someone's sketchbook. Reaching a hand up to brush against the feathers, she finds them to be surprisingly soft. She catches Xavier looking at her from the corner of her eye, his hand hovering over the paper in his lap where an empty branch was drawn.

"Mr. Thorpe," Ms. Young calls from the front. "I'm sure you're trying to make up for your display earlier, but I highly doubt Lilith is impressed with your trick."

"Admit it," comes whispered words from her right. Ambrose has leaned closer to her. "You're a little impressed."

"You want to see something even more impressing?" Xavier and Ambrose only raise their eyebrows in response. Lilith takes a deep breath before blowing gently on the dove. The greyscale of the bird fades to a pure white as it transforms from graphite to feathers, and then again to a skeleton void of all remnants of life. The doves new skeletal state doesn't stop it from hopping from her shoulder to Xavier's as he watches with wide eyes.

"How the hell?" Ambrose's shocked voice breaths next to her ear.

"Hell is correct," Lilith laughs. "Come's with the territory, with who my father is."

"And who's your father?" Xavier asks.

"Lucifer," Lilith says casually. A high-pitched squeak comes from the back of Ambrose's throat.

"Like, ruler of hell, fallen angel, that Lucifer?" Xavier asks.

"Do you know of any other Lucifer? Yes, that Lucifer," Lilith laughs. The rest of the class is spent with her two new friends asking her question after question about growing up with the king of hell.

 The rest of the class is spent with her two new friends asking her question after question about growing up with the king of hell

The fall festival is in full swing when Lilith steps onto the fair grounds. Her Rolling Stones shirt tucked into a black silk midi skirt stands out against the sea of Nevermore uniforms, especially with her blood red leather jacket. The smell of popcorn and fear floods her senses. She passes Enid and Wednesday, who are just standing at the gates and staring at a boy talking to his father just outside of them, as she makes her way to the ticket booth. Ms. Weems had informed the students that morning that everyone would receive a handful of game tickets, but they'd have to purchase any extras they wanted.

Xavier and Ambrose spot her arguing with the attendant from their spots in line for one of the games, a water shooter game.

"I just want a strip of ride tickets," Lilith argues. "I already have game tickets, there's no need for me to buy the bundle."

"But it's such a great deal," the older woman says.

"I don't care," Lilith huffs. "Lady, just give me the damn tickets so I can go."

"What's going on?" Ambrose asks as the he and Xavier walk up.

"This lady is trying to swindle me into buying a ticket bundle when all I need are the ride tickets," Lilith says. "I've been trying to explain to her I already have plenty of game tickets, and I only need some for the rides."