Seventeen Forever

***

"Her hearts stopped."

"She's going to wake up soon."

"How soon?"

"Very soon." Alice replied... Alice was still with me!

The fire that had taken over my whole body before had been extinguished, apart from in my throat, which burnt with such intensity that I impulsively swallowed, to try and put it out... It didn't help one bit.

I now realised that a hand was in mine. The strange thing was the temperature... It wasn't right. It should have been cold.

Instead of moving properly, I decided to gently squeeze the hand in mine...

"Ouch!" Alice whined, "She just almost crushed my hand!"

"Alice shhh!" Jasper warned.

I couldn't possibly have nearly crushed her hand! I only squeezed it gently!

Deciding it was probably a good idea to 'wake up' I slowly clenched the hand that wasn't being held. I could move now.

"Everyone back." Jasper commanded.

Suddenly the hand that had been in mine disappeared... Probably due to Alice being dragged away by her husband.

Guessing that they were expecting me to 'wake up' fully now, I blinked my eyes open... Much to my surprise, I could see everything. And I do mean everything.

"How're you feeling Skye?" Alice's voice questioned me.

Before I could register anything, I was crouched against the far wall, facing my family... They seemed so unfamiliar.

They all looked even more breathtakingly amazing than I remembered, but the thing that shocked me the most was how noticeable Jaspers crescent shaped bites were now...

"Hey..." Alice said quietly as she stepped towards me, "It's okay, it's just us."

Jasper grabbed her arm, "Alice, she's dangerous right now." he hissed.

All she did was give him a tired look and pulled her arm away, "Are you alright Skye?" she questioned me.

"Uhm... Yeah..." I replied.

My voice didn't sound like my own and I clamped a hand over my mouth, "Alice!" Jasper cautioned as she stepped even closer.

As soon as I thought to stand up, I was there only a millisecond later and gasped, "You'll get used to it." Alice assured me.

Now my adoptive sister was only a foot in front of me, staring at me tentatively with her coal black eyes...

"This is so weird!" I exclaimed, making Jasper jump slightly.

Alice began to giggle, "Same old Skye on the inside!" she said happily.

I returned her smile, "Oh my gosh Alice! I missed you so much!" and I ran over and hugged her tightly, which caused Jasper to tense.

"I... Missed you... Too." she replied, struggling to breathe due to me being so strong.

"Im so sorry!" I apologised profusely as I let go.

I now noticed that the only people left in the room were me, Alice and Jasper.. The rest had all gone downstairs, or some other place.

"Now! Time to see yourself!" Alice urged as she pushed me towards a mirror that had been covered with a bed sheet.

"I don't think this is a good idea..." Jasper warned.

I watched as Alice walked over to the mirror in front of me, and whipped the sheet off, leaving me staring at a girl... Her blonde hair seemed silkier, and lighter. Her skin was blemish free and snow white. And her eyes... 'Oh my god! My eyes!' I screamed subconsciously.

My eyes were bright red! I had been told this was going to happen but that was absolutely terrifying... "Skye. Calm down." Jasper ordered me.

I span round, coming face to face with his black eyes... But I couldn't calm myself down. My eyes darted to the balcony, and I sped to it with frightening speed, threw the glass door open and jumped out... My first thought was 'Oh my gosh! I'm going to die!'. But when I landed on my feet with nothing but a quiet thud, I realised that I wouldn't die... I was practically indestructible!

"Skye! Wait!" Alice shouted from the balcony above me.

Without a backwards glance, I took off into the trees that surrounded our house and ran... The speed was exhilarating and I just grinned as I pushed my body to its max. Easily outrunning the fastest car you could find.

"Skye!"

I came to a pretty wide river, and jumped it in one bound with complete and utter ease... 'I would never get enough of this!' I thought happily as I carried on running.

"Stop Skye!"

Suddenly, my senses came back to me and I slowed my run until I came to a complete stop... Soon enough, I heard Alice and Jasper trying to catch up.

"That was amazing!!" I screamed as they came to a stop in front of me.

Jasper threw a worried glance my way, "Alice says there's hikers ten miles in that direction, so I say we go somewhere far away from them." he suggested.

I nodded, my smile vanishing, "Your right." was my reply.

I couldn't kill a person... I couldn't let the others down...

"Now, can you calm yourself? Or do you need my help?" Jasper questioned me quietly.

In truth, I felt scared, hyper and slightly angry all at the same time, "I could probably do with a hand..." I muttered, not wanting to admit defeat.

Jasper smiled, "Don't worry Skye, most newborns find it difficult with their emotions."

I nodded my head slightly, and Jasper placed a hand on my arm... His skin was exactly the same temperature as mine now, and this shocked me even more.

My first instinct was to run so I looked at Jasper desperately, "Could use that help about now." I urged.

Suddenly, a tidal wave of calmness hit me and I sighed contentedly, "Better?" Alice said with a grin.

"Much." me and Jasper both replied at the same time.

With a smile to my adoptive brother, we all set back for the forest... Minutes later Alice stopped me, saying we would hunt now...

"Close your eyes Skye... Now, when your instincts take over, just follow them." she ordered gently.

"Let's do this!" I said with an enthusiastic smile and closed my eyes tightly, waiting for something to happen.

Jasper sighed, "Just relax and go with it."

I took a deep unnecessary breath in to allow me to relax, and it worked. On the next inhalation of breath, I caught a scent which made my mouth fill with venom, and my eyes snapped open...

"Alice. Out of the way." Jasper ordered her in his best Major voice.

My body seemed to know exactly what to do and I followed the deafening sound of quick heartbeats, and a scent that made my throat burn angrily...