Infected

***

"Is she alright?" a motherly voice that i recognised as Esme's asked into the room I was in.

"Her temperatures still rather high, but she's better than she was." Carlisle replied calmly.

There was the sounds of footsteps and a door closing, until all I could hear was a steady beeping of a heart monitor...

"I'm not changing you until you can decide if that's what you want..." Carlisle murmured as I felt his cold hand on my forehead.

I let my eyes flutter open and my gaze fell on Carlisle who had his shirt sleeves rolled up to his elbows, and his blonde hair looked strangely messy.

"What'sgoingon?" I mumbled, my mouth refusing to cooperate.

My adoptive father sighed deeply, "The cuts on your arm became infected, you blacked out on your birthday." he told me.

I suddenly became aware that I was linked up to multiple pieces of machinery and had a drip in my arm, which made me gag slightly.

"Could we take that out?" I pleaded, noticing I now sounded more like myself.

"I'm afraid not... Your temperatures still too high."

I let out a groan and closed my eyes, "How long have I been out?" I questioned him.

"Three days..." he replied.

My eyes snapped open, "WHAT?!?" I shouted.

Carlisle chuckled, "It's not that long Skye, you didn't miss much." he said.

"I missed the day I was suppose to be turned!" I ranted, sitting up.

The heart monitor was now beeping furiously along with my anger, "Calm down Skye. We can turn you still."

At this, my heart slowed some and I lay back in my make-shift bed, "When?" I asked quietly.

"It's up to you."

My lips curved up into a smile, "Today." but my heart also started beating rapidly, giving my nervousness away.

Carlisle looked at me with his black eyes filled with worry, "Are you sure?"

I nodded, "Yes." was my reply.

I watched as Carlisle began to pace across the room, "Would you rather have the others here? Or what?" he enquired.

"Could you get Alice for me?"

Carlisle nodded and quickly sped from the room I was in... The room, which I now recognised as my adoptive fathers office, was filled with shelves packed with old-looking books and portraits of different things... I also noticed the fire was on, and orange flames flickered upwards.

"Hey." a high voice chirped.

I turned my head to see Alice stood near the doorway, Carlisle following close behind her, "Hi Alice." I replied with a smile.

She grabbed a leather chair and put in next to my bed, "What can I do for you?" she asked me.

"Well, Carlisle's going to turn me now... And I was wandering--"

"Whether I could hold your hand." she finished for me, a soft smile on her pink lips, "Of course I will Skye."

She sat on the chair and placed her cold hand in mine, "I promise I'll stay with you." she vowed, her dark golden eyes full of truth.

"Thank you..." I whispered as Carlisle unhooked me from all of the machines and the drip.

Eventually, when Carlisle could find no other reason to put it off any longer, he just stood near my shoulder, looking down at me with his sad black eyes...

"Are you completely sure your ready?" he pressed, hoping I'd change my mind.

"Yes."

I turned towards Alice, exposing my neck to Carlisle and meeting her golden eyes...

She smiled softly at me and the hand I wasn't holding went to my hair as she stroked it soothingly, "Close your eyes..." she ordered. And I did.

Suddenly there was an excruciating pain in my neck and I struggled against myself, trying to keep my eyes tightly closed.

The pain spread slowly through my neck and across my whole body, until I could take it no longer and cried out in pain...

"She needs the morphine Carlisle!" Alice shouted over my scream.

Once I'd stopped screaming, all I could hear was Carlisle's heavy breathing and Alice insisting he give me the morphine...

Just then, there was a sharp stabbing pain of a needle piercing my skin and that made me scream again... As soon as the morphine spread, I then discovered i couldn't move. Which was just as well as I'd probably have thrashed all over the place.

"Shhh... Your okay Skye..." Alice soothed, stroking my hair still.

I could feel the hot tears spilling over my cheeks, and attempted to squeeze her hand to reassure her that I was okay, even in a hell of a lot of pain.. I know she felt it by the way she gently squeezed back.

The fire was now raging all through my body, feeling like I was being torn apart and burnt at the same time... My body, not being able to take anymore pain did the only thing it could, and I blacked out...

***