I stare down at the painting. Sire isn't smiling, which isn't a surprise. He seems to only show emotions rarely, and although he apparently was in the presence of a friend, he doesn't look that pleased.

"How so?"

Carran sighs. "He seduced his lover away from him."

"Oh..."

I wrap my arms around myself. I don't like the sound of that.

Sire may be very old, but he hasn't lived those centuries that have passed. He's emerged from the tomb in the same state he was when he reigned as Alpha and was apparently a terrible person.

I may not trust Carran, but Sire is so intent on seducing me...it's not a leap to assume he would seduce his enemies lover to cause him harm.

"Sire was the bolder, more attractive male. However my many greats grandfather talks about being jealous of him for a long time. When Sire seduced his mate one night, he swore revenge," Carran says, scowling down at the depiction of my mate.

"What was the revenge?"

"He swore he would either do the same to his future mate, or he would kill them." Carran's eyes darken for a second but he blinks it away.

I gasp, resting my hand over my chest. I'm glad this Alpha is very dead and cannot hurt me, but the thought is still frightening.

"That means he would kill me?"

Carran smiles tightly, although something haunts his eyes. He knows so much about this old story it feels as though he is has spent his life preparing for Sire to rise. Maybe every Alpha has had to train in the past.

"He's very dead," Carran assures me, although it doesn't soothe the strange feeling twisting in my stomach.

What is that?

"Right..." I shake it off, trying not to think about the conclusion my mind is drawing me towards.

What if Carran wants to do as his relative swore to? It's a haunting, but possible outcome.

"My point is, Sire was never trustworthy. Sure, my grandfather was a bit dramatic in his declaration, but it was Sire who broke the trust first," Carran says, turning the portrait to face him.

I narrow my eyes. This conversation is turning and I don't like it.

"That's one perspective," I growl.

"What occurred after was brutal and deadly. Far greater travesties went down between them, I assure you," he exclaims darkly, shuddering as if recalling the history offends him.

I shake my head at him. "I want to go home now."

Carran leans over, resting his hand over mind. I freeze at the contact, although I resist the urge to yank my hand away.

"Any time Sire makes you uncomfortable, you are very welcome here," he tells me lowly, a slow smile touching his mouth.

I frown, drawing my hand away. "Thank you, I guess."

Carran does allow me to leave his home to head back to my own apartment. I have to cross over the main city to get back to mine, which eats up a good portion of the day. By the time I return, I'm exhausted.

For the rest of the afternoon I try my hardest to relax, although everything that Carran revealed to me has perverted my way of thinking.

He may be lying to me, but what if he isn't?

Sire knocks on my door right as twilight stretches out across the land.

He immediately grabs both of my shoulders. "Thank the Angel's, you're here..."

"I was out with my friend," I tell him smoothly. I was planning out my excuse knowing Sire would have felt my absence. I just hope he hasn't done anything brash while I've been awol.

He frowns. "All night?"

"Yes. I usually do," I exclaim dismissively, wandering back into my living room. He follows me, dropping his head beneath the low arches.

"Come back to my house tonight." His voice is tight, strained.

"Only if you will be truthful with me about what I have to ask," I barter steadily. Carran wants me to send him back into the earth, and if Sire is dangerous, I may be willing to help him out.

Even if Sire is my mate...

"Of course. I would never lie to you," he breathes.

I just shrug. "I hope not."

"Come on, let me get you out of here." He holds his hand out to me.

Exhaling slowly, I slide my hand into his. I just hope I'm not going to regret this.

🤎••🤎

Hey guys! Thank you so much for reading (: I hope you all enjoy this story, and if you want to read ten chapters ahead you can on Radish!

Thanks for reading (:

~Midika 💜🐼