"The story begins with your ancestors," he narrated, rubbing the grains of stone off his fingertips. "As humans first arrived in Te Fehr, traveling from the coast of Fehr-Abas to the midlands, they reached a place soon known as Jeme. A rich land right off the tail of the mountains, where springs poured between boulders and caverns provided shade from the desert sun. The weary travelers found a haven at last—except for one slight problem.

"The lands were already occupied. Near the springs, in systems of caves, even a ways off from the mountainside, Sabja had long claimed the lands of Jeme for themselves. The humans' presence wasn't well-received, and war soon broke out from all sides. Unlike the humans, united and great in number, the Sabja were separated into small tribes, much like the Korja we see today. Ravaged by incoming disease and the humans' assault, the leader of one particular tribe—a man named Sa'ryn—found his remaining people massacred. In the cave they called home, he watched the walls spattered in red, inches of blood pooling the white stone floor. He was the last standing against their assaulters. Sa'ryn was strong, but few exist who can defeat an army alone—at least not without one hell of a power card."

Trelisti saw the pieces connect before he said them, a chant ringing loud in his memory. The sacrifice of his people, the stone to be their graves...

"I see it's clicked," Anansi said with a small chuckle, laying his chin on his closed fist. "Sa'ryn sacrificed the blood of his people as an offer to Ferthum. Being the Core of the Earth, the invocation was born through the marriage of blood and stone. Thus, pulse magic was born. Every human in the cavern felt their magic suppressed, and Sa'ryn killed all but a young boy. Perhaps it was out of kindness that he spared him, or maybe his strength had run out. He wasn't heard from again after the kid escaped, holding the secret that would soon build an industry."

Anansi finished the story with a musing smile, watching and waiting for a response. The patience disgusted him.

He wouldn't give him the satisfaction. Trelisti kept his face blank with his reply. "Why tell me this?"

"If only one of us is to walk away, I'd regret the history dying," answered Anansi, unfolding his hand and straightening up. "Of course, it could all be avoided with a deal."

"I'm not making a deal with you," Trelisti replied, glancing down at the tattoo on his wrist. "I'd be a fool to get caught in your web."

"Oh, but you already are," Anansi purred. For a moment, his voice sounded deathly similar to the ones in his memories, sending a chill behind his neck. "See, Jamir's already told me of your past. How thick the industry runs in your blood. He assures me you're a valuable asset—an efficient, emotionless killer. And seeing as we're short-staffed, you're a perfect fit."

A flush of rage burned hot in his skin. Of course Jamir would expose his identity, do anything he could to have him as a dog again. It was stupid to think he might give up on it.

"And before you argue," Anansi continued, cutting him off just as Trelisti opened his lips. "I haven't revealed my hand."

Anansi stood up and started to walk, clinging to the edge of the ruins.

"I can't be the only one to find it ironic—the Ti'au they're praising up north is the son of two criminals. Your father might've been a nobody, but your mother's side is much more interesting." He looked over his nails, blowing out the remaining stone. "The daughter of the second-in-command at the time, a high-ranking spy turned handler...do you even know how much she did for them before she had you? Your reputation would crumble in an instant."

"I don't give a shit how society views me." Trelisti was on his feet before he finished the sentence. "You've got nothing on me."

"I thought you might say that. You don't really seem like a people person," Anansi replied, a fleck of amusement in his eyes. "So imagine my surprise when I found that Korja man and your girlfriend. Who'd have thought Espire was running around in a place like this, teeming with people who want to hunt her?"