Chapter 37

Tellik didn't speak the rest of the way, and neither did Trelisti. His scorched lungs should've been grateful, the dirt and smoke glued to his throat adding no enthusiasm for a conversation. But the absence of one was worse, the weight of knowing Tellik's anger while his head hung low from his shoulders. Trelisti could barely focus on Asli's words.

"...not to speak of our presence, share any information with outsiders, nor draw attention to us in any way." He finished a lengthy warning as they reached the sector's end, turning the same direction as 118th street. "Our forces share this place with refugees, fences, and other stragglers, and their safety is just as important as our own. Clear?"

When there wasn't a response, he turned around with a glare. "Clear?"

Trelisti gave a lazy nod, paying only half-attention while his mind wandered. He didn't know how long Tellik's anger would last, but if this wasn't fixed by the end of the week...

It was more than just his own mission at stake. He'd lose his guide. He'd lose access to the Qorasi. Any hopes of getting that feather, of passing the trial entrusted to him, would be burnt to ash.

He didn't realize they'd gotten there until Asli turned, nearly passing the entry. It wasn't very noticeable—the only barrier between it and the public street was a curtain, similar to a street merchant's backdrop, hiding an alley.

What met them was a city in its own right. It was long rather than wide, but stretched beyond where he could see, occupying the space between two rows of buildings. Bridges and stilted walkways formed a network within, connecting the ground to windows, windows to rooftops, and rooftops to watch towers. Cloth knots, either decorative or meaningful, were tied around much of the structures, and while subtle, he could tell the entire setup was rigged with traps. What stuck out most, though, was the marking scratched into the closest wooden post. The character was a set of interlocked, curved lines that pulled at something inside of him.

Majaldh, haven. It was one of the only Fehri words he knew, used by the underground in cities all over. No questions asked, no payment required but secrecy.

The word triggered something in the back of his mind, something silent. A somewhat familiar, almost longing sense of home, which he had little choice but to force away.

"This way," Asli said as he led them under a shadowed walkway, where another curtain blocked the view within. Dim light peeked underneath.

Trelisti couldn't understand the murmurs he heard behind it, but the language switched when the curtain was pulled. Tellik didn't enter with them.

"Good, no more waiting," Lias said, holding the edge of a reed pen towards his lip. He was leaning over a shelf in the corner where a few papers were scattered. "I apologize if the welcome's quick, but we've got a lot to go over. Lucky for you."

He didn't miss the pointed glance towards Asli at the end, nor the guilt plastered on Am'ran's face. The latter was sitting meekly in the corner, while a much taller, much more muscular man stood above with crossed arms. He was decorated in jewelry and tattoos, all simple designs, but enough that the class difference was obvious.

Asli gave a dismissive shrug. His eyes flicked over to the tall man, then made two quick motions with his fingers. The man nodded.

"Care to translate?" asked Lias. He wasn't looking in their direction, but the motion didn't make it past him unnoticed.

"Report on my end. Another attack uptown," answered the tall man. "They're getting bolder."

Lias tsked, but the sound wasn't surprised. He freed the pen from his grasp.

"More reason for us to decide tonight, then." After dropping it on the shelf, he turned to the group. "Ti'au, this is Assembly Head Ienitt."

It took Trelisti a moment to realize he was speaking to him; the nickname they gave him was still new.

"Trelisti is fine," he said scratchily, throat still sore from the smoke. "The head of the guard, too, right?"

Ienitt nodded, though his gaze was slightly concerned. "Be careful who you share your name with. Known ones disappear."

Trelisti barely acknowledged him. "I'll be gone before the week's end anyway. So why am I here?"

"To decide your role." Ienitt's voice was firm. "And to share information. Lias, myself, and one other use this base to share resources—in some ways, we're spearheading the fight against the industry. We want to know where in this fight you fall."

Trelisti waited a moment after he finished speaking, hesitant to give an answer until he knew everybody else's place. Ienitt, head of the guard and assembly. Lias, researcher with the industry's greatest secret. Am'ran, a victim and a spy, and Asli...

"You," he said, setting his glance on the scaled ring. "I heard that ring was the sign of the industry's mole, then watched you kill one of their dogs. You ran from the scene tonight, supposedly chasing the real culprit, but seemed to know his name." He remembered that much when he told Am'ran to shift the blame, pieces slowly falling together. "Where do you fit in?"

"Asli," he answered, as though his name told anything. "Means fox."

Trelisti flipped back to Amran's slip-up. Xu, the name he'd called, and Asli, the name to cover it up. If Trelisti's code name, Ti'au, was a messenger, then a fox would be...

"An agent, of sorts?" he asked, though the question turned more towards a comment at the end. "The industry thinks you work for them above Ienitt. But it's the other way around, isn't it?"

Asli gave an unimpressed nod. "I do what I need to stay in the grey area, and I've got permissions that the regular guard doesn't. I thought it would be more obvious to you, though."

His reply was swift. "It's not safe to assume in enemy territory. Especially when you don't know your enemies from your friends."

"Then enlighten me." The tone wasn't exactly harsh, but it wasn't patient, either. Ienitt was still waiting on an answer. "I'm sure you're aware you invite the same suspicion as you give my subordinate."

The glance Lias gave him was easy to read, in slight, but understanding, distaste. Trelisti didn't blame either of them.

"I guess you can keep calling me a messenger. I don't mind sharing information with you," he said after a moment of thinking. "But I'm not your dog. I'm taking down this industry whether our methods align or not."

Ienitt took a moment to think, stewing over his words while his gaze circled the room. Lias and Asli seemed neutral, almost expectant of the answer. Am'ran just sank further into his chair.

"So long as you're not disruptful to us, I've got no complaints," Ienitt decided, releasing his crossed arms. "Now tell us what you've found, Ti'au."