Something told him that was the one they needed.

The fa'ih let out a shriek, heatwaves rippling in the air surrounding it. Its wings beat against the sky, tail feathers trailing behind as it explored its captive plane. Avalon watched in concentration.

"You're still casting?" Trelisti asked. Ahead, Tellik waited patiently, giving the bird a chance to adjust.

"It evaporates everything in an instant. I'm trying to keep the humidity surrounding it steady," she replied. Her eyes tracked it in the night, glistening with gold and blue.

"You're doing great. She's more docile than I expected," Tellik assured. A glow in his palm spun into a sphere. "I'm going to try calling her in a minute, so Trelisti—are you ready?"

"For what?" he asked. Behind, the fa'ih turned, catching a glimpse of the shining orb. Its hollow eyes grew with curiosity.

"To grab the feather."

He didn't get a chance to elaborate before the fa'ih dove down, and Tellik let the sphere float from his hand. It was a perfect, intentional opening, and as the bird swooped towards them, Trelisti understood.

A fa'ih wasn't easy to get close to. When it fell, the air warmed drastically, enough to burn them without touch. Nobody else could grasp the feather.

But Trelisti had shieldskin.

It was so hot he felt it through his secondary, a scalding, prickling pain before his fingertips went numb. He dropped it fast enough not to damage the skin underneath, but his clothes caught ablaze in the process, and he had to roll to put them out. If not for his magic, he was sure the sheer temperature would burn him alive, but it gave him the valuable second he needed. The chance to feel the feather graze his fingers.

He couldn't hold onto it for long, but he didn't need to. A vivid sapphire flame engulfed the feather as it drifted to the ground, and somehow, he recognized the magic.

Mirtis' fire swallowed it. A glimpse of the others' faces burned in its place.

The image disappeared in an instant, but he was sure they saw each other before then. Quinn stilled at the sight, and the message hovered between them.

I wouldn't let you down, he said with a gaze, watching her face begin to dissolve.

I know, she said back, a silent message beneath the worry. Thank you.

"Are you okay?" Avalon asked, rushing over with water at the ready. Her eyes darted to the disappearing flame. "Who were those people?"

"I'm fine. My secondary's a sort of immunity," Trelisti answered, realizing she'd never truly seen it in action. She dropped the water when she saw the fire was already out. "And those were our allies. I think the fire sent the feather to them."

As if the statement was a reminder, they both turned, looking over to find the fa'ih. Surprisingly, it had landed, and it was staring straight at Tellik.

"Kabira," he whispered, holding his hand ahead. The air was cooler, still scorching close to the bird, but much more controlled. "The healing flame."

Trelisti didn't recognize the namesake, but if he had to guess, it was a myth like Ti'au. What he did know was that something about her changed—what was fearful and violent calmed, replaced by a warm, restorative aura. She bowed her head before him, and pressed her head into his hand.

The fire didn't burn him. Instead, it woke him up.

Tellik's veins turned the color of amber, a river of glimmery light marbling his arms. What should have been frightening instead felt like a baptism, a moment so natural and pure and long overdue. His body drank away the glow, shining softly, before Kabira became a part of him, absorbed into his hand.

"What just happened?" Trelisti asked, voicing Avalon's wonder too. Her bewilderment was even more visible than his.

"She accepted me. We're bonded," Tellik said, almost as though he didn't believe the words himself. He stared at his palm, flexing it in and out. "I can feel her power, but more than that, too. Like a gate's been opened."

Trelisti tried to sound more kind than judgmental, though he wasn't sure how well he succeeded. "So she's just...inside of you?"

"Yes. No. It's hard to explain," Tellik answered, letting light dance loosely in his hand. The magic was a spectacle of colors—deep and light blues, hints of orange in a yellow backdrop, a clear difference from before. "She's somewhere else, but I can call to her from inside. As though the bridge connecting us is in my subconscious, rather than through some sort of outside ritual. And we're in tune with each other now."

Trelisti wasn't going to pretend to understand, but it seemed enough of an answer for Avalon. In the background, Ti'mano's walls melted away, and the man himself came running up.

"Niano, my boy! That was the quickest I've ever seen someone tame a familiar," he said, locking Tellik in an embrace. He squeezed the whole time, only letting go when Tellik pushed himself out of it. "And she was so bright, too! I've only heard of fa'ih that hot in legends."

"Well, it seems we're living one," Tellik replied, more to the others than his uncle. Still, he beamed with pride. "Thank you, paksi. And the rest of you, too."

Avalon returned a small smile, and Trelisti nodded from the side. He gave them enough time to share what they needed, not interfering as the conversation shifted into Fehri, until Ti'mano eventually gave his last warning.

"You know if I had it my way, I'd welcome you all into the tribe as family. It's just not power I wield," he said grimly, a stark but necessary change. "Kharo won't let any of you step foot back in, and I'm sure even I'm walking a thin line with him now."

Tellik's face darkened, an inevitable ache setting over, though he took it gently. "I appreciate what you've sacrificed to help us. If and when things change, I'll return."

"We can only hope the day comes sooner," Ti'mano agreed, head hanging with grief. "I'm afraid this is where we must part, but I wish you all the best. Ti'fana Fehr—I'm more proud of you than you know."