06. superheroes

06; superheroes

The only flaw with Evelyn's suit was that it did little to keep out the cold. She had a jacket, of course, but it was thin and really useless but it kept her arms from freezing off and falling to the snow below. There were somewhere off the coast of Stalingrad, somewhere she did not want to be, but duty calls and all that.

They had been waiting on this cliff for awhile too, standing around didn't make you warm either. Everyone had something to do, Bucky was watching the Hydra base, Gabe and Dernier were listening into radio signals, Dugan and Falsworth were loading weapons, Steve was overlooking the whole ordeal while Evelyn was lookout. With heightened senses like hers, she could spot a Hydra soldier from miles away.

Bucky, who was looking through binoculars, looked back to the rest of the team(nicknamed the Howling Commandos, she blames Stark for that one). "I don;t understand why we can't just run in, we have the element of surprise?"

Falsworth scoffed. "Yes, because we all know how splendidly our last ambush went."

Steve, who was trying not to rip the hair off of his helmeted head, sighed. "Look, if we want to destroy Hydra successfully, we can't let any get away, we wait until the last patrol has come back to base."

Bucky just shook his head, detaching his eyes from the binoculars long enough to glance at Evelyn who was tightening her armour plated gloves around her hands. "Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning."

Evelyn said nothing, just the side of her lips quirked up in the faintest of smiles. That made his brows knit together. Usually, she would be reply with a witty comment, or at least laugh. He put the binoculars down, shifting to face her. "Lyn, what's wrong?"

She frowned at the nickname, not sure if she liked it or not. "Nothing's wrong, Bucky, just cold."

"Yeah, so am I, don't see me sulking."

"I'm not sulking."

"Yes you are."

"No I'm not."

"I could go for hours-"

Evelyn grunted but relented. "Yes, I'm sulking, but only a little bit, alright?"

Bucky chuckled to himself. "Any particular reason, a problem, or a person?"

He could hear her boots crunch in the snow for a second, her body tensing up. "There might be. Why are you so keen to know?"

His response to that was a flick of his head towards Steve who was engrossed in radio transmissions. Evelyn spared a furtive glance before glaring at his best friend. "He looks at you with this paranoid look every now and then, like he want's to say something. If that doesn't scream problem I don't know what does."

Evelyn crossed her arms, huffing a little. Of course Steve wouldn't be subtle about what happened between them, he couldn't just be cool. He had to be his idiotic, awkward self who hadn't the slightest idea how to handle an angry(or at least very confused) woman. "We had a falling out, well I went a bit crazy, but that's beside the point. Right now I need to-"

Gabe's voice broke through their conversation. "All patrols have been sent back to base, ready when you are Cap."

Steve adjusted his shield, whipping out his gun. "Alright, everyone gather up." they all obeyed, standing in a line. "Gabe, Jim and Dernier, you take out the men on the perimeter. Dugan, Falsworth and Bucky, you handle the guys near all the equipment. Evelyn and I, we'll take the guys up top, meet us at the entrance in 10 minutes." everyone accepted their order and fanned out.