02. drastic changes

02; Drastic Changes

When Evelyn was told she would have to pick Steve up, she will admit, she didn't particularly want to. It was nothing against him, he was actually a nice guy, but she didn't want to deal with him having a panic attack over being injected with experimental drugs. She could deal with nervousness, not panic attacks.

Her mother had too many of them after her father died, panic attacks were a bad taste in her mouth.

Peggy had decided to meet her at the facility, giving the blonde the passcode to said facility so she could actually get in the door. Now, here she was, at Steve's house as he exited the estate. He entered the car, his uniform perfectly intact and sat uncomfortably next to her. Evelyn studied his body language as he fidgeted in his seat. "Sir, you look-"

"Small, weak, not prepared for this at all?"

"I was going to say agitated, but those work too." she chuckled a bit, to relief that unbearable awkwardness that settled in the moving car. So she took to looking out the window, admiring the view of the neighbourhood. There were many people in the streets enjoying the day, kids were even playing in the streets.

"I know this neighbourhood." Steve mentioned, looking out the window also. Evelyn dragged her eyes away from hers, watching as he fiddled with his fingers, reliving bad memories. "I got beat up in that alley." her expressionless face turned into a frown. "And that parking lot." it morphed into confusion. "And behind that diner." then it morphed into pity.

"Ever heard of running away?" she spoke softly, with a joking tone to it.

He chuckled, a slight exasperated tone to it. "You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, you push back. They can't say no forever, right? "

Evelyn let the sides of her lips quirk up at that. "Words to live by, although I can't follow them." Steve looked at her, perplexed. "I'm a woman, I'm not pushed to begin with."

He nodded, seeming to understand her logic. "I guess I just don't know why you'd want to join the army if you were a beautiful dame." her eyes widened as did his, only she did a better job of concealing it. He, on the other hand, tried to recover. "A beautiful...a woman."

She pressed her lips into a line, to stop the little laugh that bubbled up in her throat. He was adorable. "An agent. Not a dame."

She giggled as Steve practically died on his own embarrassment. "Real smooth. It sounds like you've done this before." Evelyn laughed sarcastically and Steve joined in, despite his red face.

"I think this is the longest conversation I've had with one." again, she felt a pang in her chest. This guy had it rough. "Women aren't exactly lining up to dance with a guy they might step on."

She stared at him, shocked at the confession. "You can't be serious." he nodded, proving he was. "You have to have danced."

"Well, asking a woman to dance always seemed so terrifying. And the past few years, it just didn't seem to matter that much." she could see where he was coming from, with the war, women were too busy waiting for their brother, friend, significant other or even fathers to return from the war. They didn't care for trivial things such as dancing. And throw Steve small stature and little to no muscle definition into the mix, it wasn't a good combination. "Figured I wait."

She looked out the window, spotting the area they were supposed to get off at. "For what?" she was slowly drifting out of their conversation, she was occupied with the mission at hand.

Steve noticed this and realised there was no point in saying it out loud. Instead he just whispered. "The right partner."

She didn't hear him, instead ordered him to get out of the car and follow her to a shop called 'Brooklyn Antiques'. "What are we doing here?" she heard him mumble. She pressed a finger to her lips, signalling he needed to keep silent.