Fourteen: Suspicions

Start from the beginning

"I was just talking to Ethan. He said you were going to see Porter," he exhaled, dropping his voice to a whisper.

"Yeah – it's probably best if you don't come, though," she said, in what she hoped was a kind voice.

He nodded, not looking at them, but staring unseeing down the corridor behind them.

"I know..." he agreed, clenching and unclenching his jaw. "I just..." he glanced around uncertainly, looking at Ian with particular mistrust. Iseult rolled her eyes. Ian was possibly one of the most trustworthy students at Kingston.

"Spit it out," she hissed, wanting to complete their task.

"On the night that... well Desmarais looked for the syringes from Porter. I think that's her problem now. She suspects Desmarais of having something to do with it all. I think she's afraid". James looked at Iseult uncertainly as she mulled over his belief.

"Do you think she's safe?" Iseult pressed, already knowing her own answer, but testing James' perception.

"No – I did at the time. I thought she was stronger, but she's breaking," he pressed. His green eyes were dark, regarding them wearily. "It can't have gone unnoticed. You saw her in the hospital – she's a mess. If Elmhirst turns his sights on her..."

"She will betray Desmarais and then they'll know where Charlotte is," Iseult nodded, already aware of the peculiarities of Porter's current mental state. "What do you suggest?" she asked, wondering what had forced him to seek them out. James had insisted that they kept a distance from him, and rightly too, seeing as he was under the unscrupulous and constant gaze of the headmaster. They were already tainted by their association with Charlotte. They did not need to be suspected of any more treachery, even if they were now more treacherous than ever.

"Take Annakiya," he breathed. Iseult gazed at him. It was not a suggestion or a question. It was an order and she couldn't help but smile. He was so much stronger than what he let on to be. She had seen that in his use of Freya Baak to cover for Charlotte. He knew how to use their talents to benefit him most. James was going to be very useful in the times ahead. She was surprised she hadn't thought of Annakiya, but the thought hadn't even crossed her mind.

"Annakiya Fall?" Ian asked, frowning, trying to remember her talent. "She can alter thoughts and memories in a person's mind?"

"And erase them," James added, with a satisfied and dangerous grin, looking like himself for the first time since this had all began. He was slowly mending his Head Boy mask, rebuilding the persona he had to play when those in power were looking. Yet, Iseult knew this wasn't a façade, not at this exact moment; this was his own resolve settling. It's about time, she thought.

"Where is she?" Iseult asked, as they could hear sudden movement on the stairs above them. James glanced up, warily.

"I will send her to the office," he said shortly. "I will talk to you later". With that a gaping hole formed in the wall beside them and he slipped inside before it resealed behind him once more.

"A little dramatic, don't you think?" Ian scoffed as they turned and hurried along the corridor, before anybody saw where they were going.

"No – Ian we are on the brink of war. Stop being such an idiot," Iseult groaned, shaking her head. "This is the calm before the storm".

Ian was silent for a few moments. "Well to be honest, it doesn't seem that calm".

"That just shows how much worse it's going to get".

Ashley Porter's door was locked when they finally reached her office. Iseult rolled her eyes, but beckoned Ian to remain quiet. She could have used James to gain entry. She knew Ashley was hiding inside, but she was also aware that Ashley was not going to let them in willingly. Well not her at least.