mafia pt. 3 | taegyu

Taehyun's POV:

I took a deep breath before Soobin called me into his office, not really knowing what was going on. I was pretty surprised when Seonghwa told me that Soobin wanted to talk to me, and I almost had a heart attack because I instantly thought it was something terrible. I tend to overthink things, especially since I've barely had a conversation with Soobin since my interview over three months ago. I was trying to hide how terrified I was as I walked inside, seeing Soobin sitting at his desk on the far side of the room.

He motioned to Seonghwa, and he instantly nodded in response. He left right after that small exchange, and I know they have their own little language at this point. I gulped when he closed the door, just the two of us in his office. I held my hands behind my back, feeling how my palms were sweating a bit. I almost stopped breathing when he looked at me, gesturing for me to sit down at one of the chairs across from his desk, "Come sit."

I couldn't read the expression on his face, which is the thing that terrifies me the most about him. I stuttered in my step, moving closer and sitting down. My shoulders were stiff, not being able to lean back and relax in the comfy chair. He chuckled as I sat down, "You can breathe. You're not in trouble." He said, and I instantly let out a breath of relief.

I took another deep breath right after, "Ok, thank goodness—I was freaking out and I had no idea what I did."

He let out a laugh, "I actually have more of a personal question for you..." He said, leaning forward and placing his elbows on his desk. I scrunched my eyebrows, relaxing my shoulders a bit as he quietly said, "I wanted to ask about your parents—Or more about you... umm..." He couldn't find his words, clearing his throat right after, "How old were you when your parents died?"

"Oh, umm..." I mumbled, not really expecting that, "I was fourteen."

He nodded, avoiding my eyes, "I'm sorry about that..." He replied, seeming hesitant, "A-And if you don't want to talk about it that's totally fine. I just—" He stopped himself, clearing his throat again. I guess he does that when he's anxious, "How did you cope?"

I pressed my lips together since he was avoiding my eyes, knowing how embarrassed he is to even be asking this in the first place. I shrugged, "I just tried to distract myself as best as I could. Picked up hobbies – got really into boxing to ignore what happened. I was really lonely as a kid, but it's good that you have so many people around you that actually care, you know?"

He nodded again, "When did you umm... Did it get easier?"

I gave him a little smile, "Eventually you learn to live with it, not that it gets easier, per say. My parents died eight years ago and it's still not easy."

He finally looked at me, pursing his lips together for a moment to try and contain himself. He gave me a little smile back, "Thank you..." He quietly said, "Is it alright if this just stays between us?"

I instantly nodded, "Yeah, of course, boss..." I replied, hesitating for a few seconds before I asked, "I-Is that it?"

He shook his head out of his thoughts, sitting up in his chair, "No..." He said, moving his chair closer and shifting his position to be more comfortable. He crossed his arms over his chest, able to look at me now, "I know you and Beomgyu are... an item."

He said it with such intensity, the subject changing in an instant. I felt my ears heating up, not really knowing what to do or how to reply to that. He sighed, "Beomgyu told me yesterday; really seems to like you. He was all giddy and shit..." He waved his hand, "You know how he is."

I let out a laugh to release the tension, but it didn't work very well, "Yeah, we've been together for six months and he's been itching to tell you."

Soobin let out a small chuckle, "I knew you two have been dating — it's obvious. I just wanted him to tell me when he was comfortable."