now, the other was very much sober and deok-su, very much alone.

zack's eyes pierced into his slightly wide ones, afraid to break the eye contact yet disliking the prolonging of it.

"i need a pencil." was his short statement, and his eyes flickered down to his desk, devoid of anything but a badly cared for lesson book.

a small exhale of relief left deok-su's lips at his words. it wasn't a confrontation, but an idiot who was asking him for a pencil because he was too proud to ask anyone else.

deok-su handed zack the nicest pencil in his pouch before grabbing his favorite pen and zipping it back up, setting it back in his backpack for later.

"thanks." zack murmured as lowly as he could, as though a simple word of thanks would send him to the darkest pits of hell.

deok-su let his lips settle into a microscopic smile. "no problem."

‎ ‎

BURN KNUCKLES WAS SCARY, deok-ja had heard countless times from those around her, including zoe and mira (both who she'd forgive only because the guys in her department were a bit thug looking. everyone else ended up getting an earful from her).

complete bullshit in her opinion, she thought as she watched jace comfort woong through his breakup.

deok-ja, however, took a different approach than her slightly more heartless peers.

"no way, she broke up with you? who is she? what department?" she asked as she handed the boy (although painfully) a piece of gum from her newest pack.

"not telling. you'll fight her." the giant bald teen sniffed, snatching the gum in deok-ja's hand before she could retract it and keep the chewy snack to herself.

"ah fine, keep crying then." she huffed and left him to be comforted by jace, instead joining vasco, who was brooding in the corner.

hey, he didn't accept her offer so he could suffer if he wanted to.

"i heard you've never dated anyone." deok-ja gasped in false shock as she plopped down in the empty seat beside him.

a tear trickled down his cheek at the mention of his nonexistent dating life. of course, deok-ja sighed to herself, there's no way vasco has ever dated anyone. in truth, she felt kind of bad for him. he wasn't ugly, just a little scary looking.

but, what's wrong with that?

"oh, right," deok-ja said thoughtfully, alerting the rest of the guys in the class. "our date. you can plan it."

"just not this week. i'm hanging out with zoe." she added, patting vasco on the shoulder.

ignoring his frozen state and the loud whooping of her peers, she sat back in her seat with a small smirk.

these idiots, she rolled her eyes. they're so easy to distract.

IT WAS THE FIRST TIME IN A LONG, long time where someone willingly approached deok-su (other than deok-ja) for his opinion.

honestly, it felt strange and surreal, so much so that his brain seemed to short-circuit for a few seconds.

"um... deok-su?" zoe glanced nervously at him for a response. on his face was that everyday cold gaze, with those soulless eyes of his.

she told herself that he wasn't all that bad, just shy and reserved, but the way he acted really said otherwise (she'd trust deok-ja's judgment, for the sake of the moment).