04. beige chamber.

Start from the beginning

it was all like one big test, to him. maybe he wanted to see what you could figure out on your own, maybe that's what would let you go free. your motivation for leaving ... had never truly been existing until now. maybe the first few weeks, naturally, but it wasn't.. like this.

you truly thought in the back of your mind that you could escape. that all you had to do was figure everything out on your own.

the door to your current new chamber, which was slightly lit, opened. the sound of the door loudly creaking caused you to snap from your thoughts and return your attention back to reality.

your new chamber, which dottore moved you to after the commotion, was completely different than your last. the walls were a more beige color, rather than that dark and depressing black. the bed wasn't directed onto the ground ... and it was a bed, with a mattress. and not some cot on the ground.

there was even a small desk off to the side, against the left hand side wall, of the chamber. there were still no windows, despite you never going back down. after the whole ... situation between dottore and zandice, dottore didn't lead you down the stairs, again.

it was like he upgraded your room. you went from the dark floor, with the experimentation chambers, to the beige chamber. this one was ... more comfortable.

  "ah, 067," dottore sighed as he stepped into the chamber, closing the door behind him. "we had a small situation pop up with your charts, and now we're here to run a few exams on your psyche."

... situation on your charts? what situation could you possibly be having on your charts? you wanted to ask him, desperately, but you couldn't figure out the words to ask him.

  "non-responsive, wonderful," he groaned, pulling up a chair besides the desk, "067, pay attention."

his voice was stern and cruel. it was different. completely different, and you hated it. you despised how his voice changed as he addresses you, especially in such a short amount of time.

  "067," he snapped his fingers in front of your eyes, which lead to you blinking a few times out of surprise, "i am not in the mood for this, pay attention."

"...mood?" you asked quietly.

"i don't have the time to explain. 067, i'm going to give you a small book and i want you to read every word inside to me."

he slid a thin book in front of you. the book had a bright colorful cover of a spider and a pig. the spider was on some sort of ... barn like structure. it reminded you of your family a tad bit. of how you farmed with them in the past.

  "what's the title say?" dottore asked, leaning on the palm of his hand.

  "Charlotte's Web," you answered confidently, looking at the cover before looking at him. you knew to begin reading when he gave you that small hum of approved.

you read to him slowly and every now and again, he'd write things down on your chart. he mostly would write down the words you had to ask him to repeat for you, or what they meant. you didn't have to ask him a few times, just over a few of the larger words in the book.

he didn't call you stupid or anything of the sort when you asked him about words, despite his "bad mood." maybe it's because you hadn't asked him often. though, you were happy to not go through what zandice did. you barely knew him, but he didn't deserve for dottore to yell at him.

  "... done?" you ask once you close the book.

   "done, 067. with reading. you can read at a fourth grade level and you're fucking twenty- eight, it's fucking incredible."

  "... good way?"

  "oh yes, in a good way, 067. of course, it's in a good way!"

you smiled. you shouldn't have smiled.

his mouth twisted into a large smile as he took notice of your own smile. it was as if he was holding back the urge to laugh at you. though, he didn't hold back the laughter for long. his laugh echoed throughout the room as he kept his gaze fixated on you.

you couldn't see his eyes under his masquerade mask, which he had to have put on in front of zandice, but you knew they were on you. the hairs on the back of your neck were standing.

  "oh my fucking god," dottore spoke between laughter, slamming his fist onto the wooden table, "you're fucking incredible."

you didn't say anything. you didn't want him to laugh at you again. you did something wrong.

  "god. smartest fucking person on the goddamn planet, how do you do it, y/n?"

"... read."

"read what? the smut fanfiction that zander gave you? y'know," dottore spoke, taking off of his mask, "my co-worker was wondering where that book went. i should tell him that you stole it, shouldn't i?"

  "... steal bad. didn't steal," you spoke. your tone got quieter as he spoke and accused you of stealing. the pitch of your voice wavered.

"then stop. fucking accepting gifts from random fucking people. that you don't fucking know."

"... sorry."

"god," dottore used his fingertips to pinch the bridge of his nose, "i need to keep my eye on you, don't i?"